News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

White Post

Started by BlueKrono, January 17, 2017, 05:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Since I haven't seen a thread on the White Post dinos yet I thought I'd start one. To quote the dinosaurcollectorsite, "They are ugly, very collectible, impossible to find and go for high prices." This is a good summary of these obscure figures. They were produced for Dinosaur Land in White Post, Virginia in the late 1970's. They are fairly old as plastic figures go. They seem to be modeled directly off of dino sculptures in the park, according to photos I've seen in the article about Dinosaur Land in issue #39 of Prehistoric Times. According to Joe DeMarco's Dinosauriana there are eight in the series: Corythosaurus, Diatryma, Iguanodon, Moschops, Oviraptor, Plateosaurus, Psittacosaurus, and Tylosaurus. I've never owned more than three including two doubles. I've got two tylosaurs with a darker and a lighter shade of blue paint on the back, and had a Moschops as well, which is currently on its way to another collector due to a recent trade.

Group photo:

This fellow is currently swimming his way across the Atlantic, and should arrive soon. Happy trails, Moschops!

A face only a collector could love. The whole lot of them are delightfully ugly. I think they're brilliant.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Libraraptor

I love them! As I wrote in my classifieds thread they are like the holy grail.  Exclusively produced for one theme park,  nearly monochrome, what else do you need?

amargasaurus cazaui

Another psittacosarus for me to nail down..great!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

CityRaptor

Looks a bit like it has two mouths.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

BlueKrono

It does. I just noticed that before I sent it off. That's why I took a close up of the face.

BlueKrono

This flickr account has a great collection of photographs from Dinosaur Land in White Post, VA that show the life-sized dinosaur models the figures are based off of. Feel free to flip through them!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/randar/27403526961/in/photostream/

Blade-of-the-Moon

very cool, i'd never heard of these before.  The original sculptures were made by Jim Sidwell whose other park Magic World was originally located 2 hours from here.  The newer editions are made my friend Mark Cline, who uses Schleich for some of his inspiration.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 23, 2017, 06:59:05 AM
very cool, i'd never heard of these before.  The original sculptures were made by Jim Sidwell whose other park Magic World was originally located 2 hours from here.  The newer editions are made my friend Mark Cline, who uses Schleich for some of his inspiration.

Yes, I'd love to stop out and see the park - by all indications it's still there. And I'd love to swing out to TN and see your place too in the same trip, whenever that happens!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 23, 2017, 07:45:17 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 23, 2017, 06:59:05 AM

Yes, I'd love to stop out and see the park - by all indications it's still there. And I'd love to swing out to TN and see your place too in the same trip, whenever that happens!

Dinosaur Land is, and few other odds and ends at golf courses.  Magic World in Pigeon Forge closed many years ago,  there were a couple dinos at Adventure Golf also created by Sidwell but it was torn down last year :

Mark Cline's first dino park burnt down, but he has opened a new one at Natural Bridge, VA. 

Libraraptor

Has anything changed over the last few years concerning their availability? Or are they still hard to find?  I still only have their Moschops but occasionally look for them. 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Libraraptor on March 28, 2021, 05:43:02 PM
Has anything changed over the last few years concerning their availability? Or are they still hard to find?  I still only have their Moschops but occasionally look for them.

i dont think so, just too rare i guess.

japfeif

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 31, 2021, 04:35:29 AM
Quote from: Libraraptor on March 28, 2021, 05:43:02 PM

i dont think so, just too rare i guess.

No, they have remained extremely rare & elusive. Every once in a great GREAT while one will pop up on eBay but it's next to never unfortunately. They were originally sold on a carded set that is beyond rare (there is rumored to be only one currently known to exist). But even a loose set is near impossible to find.

Here is my loose set:

Libraraptor

J @japfeif This night  I am going to wet my pillow crying over knowing I´ll probably never own the complete set :D

Halichoeres

For my sake, I'm glad none of these is a fish.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.