You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Most accurate figure of every species/genus (to date)

Started by Stegotyranno420, July 12, 2020, 06:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Faelrin on January 12, 2021, 12:17:32 AM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 11, 2021, 11:48:07 PM
avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin what about the Vitae Jinyunpelta? Should that not be in there?

Ah thanks for the reminder about that one. I'll add it in. Anything else I may have missed/forgotten about as well?
I would add the PNSO Lambeosaurus, I've noticed that's missing.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

JimoAi

NGL it would be nice to see a marine reptile and pterosaur version

Dinoguy2

Are minis included on this list? If so, the Safari Toob version of Caudipteryx is more accurate than the Carnegie one. Also the BoM Microraptor is demonstrably more accurate than the others, and listing them makes it seem like it's a tie. BoM is the only one with correct feathering on both the hands and head.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

stargatedalek

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on January 29, 2021, 03:57:07 PM
Are minis included on this list? If so, the Safari Toob version of Caudipteryx is more accurate than the Carnegie one. Also the BoM Microraptor is demonstrably more accurate than the others, and listing them makes it seem like it's a tie. BoM is the only one with correct feathering on both the hands and head.
The Carnegie Microraptor has that too, and is the only one with a visible alula (with proper feathering fully coating the fingers the alula could just be hidden, however). It gets the colours wrong and has lees "poofed up" feathers, though the latter can also be said of the BOTM, PNSO, and CollectA Microraptor.

Basically, there is no Microraptor that has combined all of the known traits into one figure yet, so the most accurate one is going to be subjective based on which traits you prioritize. IE I would say the Carnegie is most accurate, because it's the only one to actively show all of the traits that were known at the time as seen in the fossils, but others might say BOTM, Safari, or even PNSO despite their flaws because they get the colour right.

Lynx

It would be nice for you to add links on where to buy each figure.
An oversized house cat.

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 29, 2021, 06:16:34 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on January 29, 2021, 03:57:07 PM
The Carnegie Microraptor has that too, and is the only one with a visible alula (with proper feathering fully coating the fingers the alula could just be hidden, however). It gets the colours wrong and has lees "poofed up" feathers, though the latter can also be said of the BOTM, PNSO, and CollectA Microraptor.

Basically, there is no Microraptor that has combined all of the known traits into one figure yet, so the most accurate one is going to be subjective based on which traits you prioritize. IE I would say the Carnegie is most accurate, because it's the only one to actively show all of the traits that were known at the time as seen in the fossils, but others might say BOTM, Safari, or even PNSO despite their flaws because they get the colour right.

The BotM and Wild Safari versions have an alula too.  The Carnegie Microraptor has two more inaccuracies: 1. The shape of the forelimb wings - Microraptor had pointed wings.  2. The tail fan isn't the correct shape.  I agree that there is no Microraptor that has combined all the known traits into one figure, but I think that prioritising traits isn't the way to determine the most accurate figure.  If they are all as accurate as each other, then it's a tie.  I think the Carnegie Microraptor is accurate to the first reconstruction of Microraptor gui, but that reconstruction has been criticised as not being good, and I think even at the time the fossil showed the forelimb wing feathers and tail feathers didn't look like the Carnegie model.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.