News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO Helicoprion

Started by andrewsaurus rex, July 06, 2021, 05:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

this one has snuck in under my radar....totally surprised by it.

however, why is the tooth whorl so short?  There have been large, spiralled fossilized whorls discovered.  Why is PNSO's so short and unimpressive?  Am I missing something?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: andrewsaurus on July 06, 2021, 05:45:26 PM
this one has snuck in under my radar....totally surprised by it.

however, why is the tooth whorl so short?  There have been large, spiralled fossilized whorls discovered.  Why is PNSO's so short and unimpressive?  Am I missing something?

I'm not that familiar with the fossils, but wouldn't it depend on the size of the whorl in proportion to the rest of the body? A big whorl could just indicate an unusually big fish, not a big whorl on an average sized fish?

Edit: it just occurred to me that you might not also have heard of the discovery that spiral was internal- if you have, nevermind, but I figured I'd double check since so many of the old fashioned style reconstructions still float around online. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/buzzsaw-jaw-helicoprion-was-a-freaky-ratfish
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

andrewsaurus rex

ah, I see........the whorl was inside the mouth.  So I presume it stayed inside the mouth at all times and never hung out?  That explains the discrepancy in restorations I've seen.  Less cool looking though...lol.  thanks for the clarification.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.