News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Abelisaurid arms

Started by Rexy, July 18, 2021, 02:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rexy

Why did Abelisaurids have such short, immobile arms when every other Theropod had arms that were able to be used? I've heard a theory that they lost the function of two genes that regulate the forelimbs' development, but is there any evidence to back up this theory?
Taking dinosaurs off this island is the worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas, and I'm gonna be there when you learn that.

Dinoxels

I don't have the how, but I have the why. Similar to Tyrannosaurs Abliesaurids used their mouths in combat rather then their arms. So the arms slowly became less of an importance. Plus, it helps streamline the animal.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Rexy

Tyrannosaur arms were short compared to what's seen on other Theropods, but they were still functional. I believe the arms shrank because the head got bigger so it was more practical to have short, light-weight arms rather than arms that were long and heavy. Abelisaurids, however, had smaller heads than what you'd see on a Tyrannosaur, yet their arms were a lot less developed.
Taking dinosaurs off this island is the worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas, and I'm gonna be there when you learn that.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.