News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

1988 and Dinosaurs...

Started by CityRaptor, September 10, 2021, 12:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Hmmm, looking at some vintage stuff I aquired I came to the conclusion that 1988 was a rather productive year for Dinosaur stuff. ( Note that I don't own everything on that list )

Movies:
The original "The Land Before Time" ( very different in tone from the countless sequels...much darker. )

Toys:
Safari Ltd "The Carnegie Collection" ( cameos in Jurassic Park )
Tyco "Dino Riders" ( Harness the Power of Dinosaurs! )
Kenner "Bone Age" ( not your usual Dinosaurs and Caveman scenario )
Topps "Dinosaurs Attack" ( Hard to believe that that one was aimed at kids )

Books:
Jack Horner "Digging Dinosaurs" ( about Maiasaura, partial inspiration for Grant and his book )
Gregory S. Paul "Predatory Dinosaurs of the World" ( inspiration for Jurassic Park, especially the Raptors )
Dougal Dixon "The new Dinosaurs" ( Speculative Evolution )
Harry Harrison "Return to Eden" ( Final novel of Eden trilogy...set in a world where Tylosaurus evolved into lizard people and new world monkeys into "humans" )

Music:
Was not Was "Walk the Dinosaur" ( Open up the door, get on the floor...)

Video Games:
Designasaurus
Godzilla: Monster of Monsters
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

GojiraGuy1954

The first American Godzilla movie came out in 1998

Wait shit i misread the thread title
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Dinoguy2

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 10, 2021, 12:39:12 AM
Hmmm, looking at some vintage stuff I aquired I came to the conclusion that 1988 was a rather productive year for Dinosaur stuff. ( Note that I don't own everything on that list )

Movies:
The original "The Land Before Time" ( very different in tone from the countless sequels...much darker. )

Toys:
Safari Ltd "The Carnegie Collection" ( cameos in Jurassic Park )
Tyco "Dino Riders" ( Harness the Power of Dinosaurs! )
Kenner "Bone Age" ( not your usual Dinosaurs and Caveman scenario )
Topps "Dinosaurs Attack" ( Hard to believe that that one was aimed at kids )

Books:
Jack Horner "Digging Dinosaurs" ( about Maiasaura, partial inspiration for Grant and his book )
Gregory S. Paul "Predatory Dinosaurs of the World" ( inspiration for Jurassic Park, especially the Raptors )
Dougal Dixon "The new Dinosaurs" ( Speculative Evolution )
Harry Harrison "Return to Eden" ( Final novel of Eden trilogy...set in a world where Tylosaurus evolved into lizard people and new world monkeys into "humans" )

Music:
Was not Was "Walk the Dinosaur" ( Open up the door, get on the floor...)

Video Games:
Designasaurus
Godzilla: Monster of Monsters

I think 1988 was the year 6 year old me danced with my big Bone Age T. rex at my uncle's wedding when the DJ started playing Walk the Dinosaur. I forgot both of those things must have been brand new!

Also vividly remember the time I convinced my parents to buy me a pack of Dinosaurs Attack cards. They instantly regretted it 😂
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

ITdactyl

LoL, we now have an Elders section. ;D

Movies:
- "The Land Before Time" - my first rejection. Girl I liked said getting an emotional reaction from a cartoon dinosaur isn't "manly". 8)
- I know it was released in 1985, but I first got to watch "Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend" in '88

Toys:
- Safari Ltd "The Carnegie Collection" - young me never understood why the old Safari figures cost as much as the large Transformers toys. Didn't understand niche markets and import duties then.  ::)
- Tyco "Dino Riders" - parents wanted me to pick a toyline if I wanted to start a collection. M.A.S.K., Silverhawks, Zoids, Masters of the Universe. I picked the line that none of my friends had. No regrets (though I did start collecting Zoids too, in my 20s)
- Kenner "Bone Age" - always wanted the pteranodon that converts to a helicopter. Never got it. Received an incomplete plesiosaur as a "gift" but can't remember what happened to it.

Books:
I remember having a bunch, but none of those you listed.
- "The Giant Book of Dinosaurs" - Michael Benton

Music:
"Walk the Dinosaur" - this was torture. Everyone was forced to dance this art family gatherings, parties and school presentations.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.