You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Unintentional Dinosaur/Paleo Products?

Started by Lynx, November 09, 2021, 01:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

As I was going through my collection, I realized just how many 'unintentional' paleo figures I had. I had always used the Papo Crocodile as a deinosuchus, and the Safari LTD Anhinga as a halszkaraptor! I also tend to use stuff like Safaris Toob gators for photography, as a cheaper (And less risky!) alternative to cutting the croc out of REBORs Titanoboa. Sometimes I find just the PERFECT fishing bait or dollar store fish for photography or my younger sister to use with her spinosaurus  :)

This leads me to wonder, do any of you fellow collectors have 'unintentional' paleo figures?
An oversized house cat.

Reuben03

(photograph not mine)

the K&M mini horned shark often works as a tiny hybodus for me!
this was sold with a few minor colour variations in bouncy balls and distributed by different companies (puckator being the UK one)

its super cool and so is the entire line!
link to view the others here:
https://faunafigures.com/2021/06/03/vault-tales-216-tiny-sharks/

(i really like tiny things)

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

PrimevalRaptor

Can't find my own right now but as a kid I always used the old Bullyland Komodo Dragon as a stand-in for Megalania (aka V.priscus nowadays), it's larger than the Schleich one I had at the time and just felt more "prehistoric" in a way.

SenSx

I'm using the Safari alligator as a deinosuchus, the size seems about right and fits well with the sarcosuchus, except it is not standing on its 4 legs.
It is a lovely figure.
I don't know how accurate it is for a Deinosuchus tough.

Also I've been using the papo komodo dragon as a megalania.

Lynx

Quote from: SenSx on November 09, 2021, 03:51:27 PM
I'm using the Safari alligator as a deinosuchus, the size seems about right and fits well with the sarcosuchus, except it is not standing on its 4 legs.
It is a lovely figure.
I don't know how accurate it is tough.

Ooo, does that gator get paint scratched off easily? If not, then that's a must-get
(Crap, I said 'pain' instead of 'paint')
An oversized house cat.

SenSx

You mean removing its paint to apply a new one ?
I have no idea, I have never done that .
But I do enjoy its base paint job, very natural.

Edit: well I think I did not understand well what you meant.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

The closest thing to this in my collection are a few extant animals representing extinct relatives on my Pleistocene Europe shelf. The CollectA hippopotamus as a Hippopotamus gorgops or Hippopotamus antiquus, the Papo spotted Hyena as a cave Hyena/Pachycrocuta, CollectA lioness as a European cave lioness, and Papo polar bear as Ursus maritimus tyrannus.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Gwangi

I love that Safari alligator, I reviewed it for the Animal Toy Blog. It's accurate, and sculpted by Doug Watson who does most of Safari's prehistoric figures.
http://animaltoyforum.com/blog/2021/07/31/american-alligator-wild-wildlife-by-safari-ltd/

SenSx

Quote from: Gwangi on November 11, 2021, 12:12:12 AM
I love that Safari alligator, I reviewed it for the Animal Toy Blog. It's accurate, and sculpted by Doug Watson who does most of Safari's prehistoric figures.
http://animaltoyforum.com/blog/2021/07/31/american-alligator-wild-wildlife-by-safari-ltd/

I meant accurate for a Deinosuchus (as I am using it), which was not the original goal of the figure of course.
I have no doubt a Safari figure sculpted by Doug Watson is accurate to the specie it is meant to represent.
But yes it is one of my favorite figure.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.