News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Does anybody know Titanoboa's placement within Boidae?

Started by TheCambrianCrusader, March 28, 2022, 04:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCambrianCrusader

So I'll just preface by saying I absolutely love boas they're probably my favorite clade of snakes along with pythons and some of my favorite animals altogether. I've had the pleasure of working with a few rainbow and sand boas in the past and they're absolutely lovely and I've been planning on getting a Boa imperator in the near future. Recently I've been looking into the taxonomy of boas and I realized that I didn't know exactly where good old Titanoboa fell and most phylogenetic trees mainly focus on the relationships of extant species. I tried to look for some papers on Titanoboa's placement but I couldn't find anything and the original paper describing it is locked behind a paywall.
Does anybody know anything about Titanoboa's (and possibly other extinct boas') placement? Like most people just reconstruct it as an even bigger anaconda but is that accurate? Is Titanoboa actually closer to anacondas and rainbow boas than to other boas? Is it more basal? Do we even know at all?
Just curious if anybody could shed some light.

Newt

The original paper places it in Boinae, the group that includes Boa, Eunectes, Epicrates, and Corallus, and specifically as closest to Boa (although the very brief paper does not discuss which other snakes were examined). The only other paper I've seen that discusses the snake's phylogeny confirms it as similar to Boa, and also to the extinct Chubutophis.

If you want the original description, send me a pm with your email address.

TheCambrianCrusader

Ah ok that's def interesting and that would be super helpful if you did!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.