You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

dinosaur model collecting compared with other hobbies

Started by dyno77, April 26, 2023, 07:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyno77

what would you suggest makes collecting dinosaur models specifically different from other forms of model collecting such as trains,farm animals,or wildlife, trucks or any other vehicles ..? here are some things iv noticed mostly based from online sources ..

I actually have some schleich whales and octopus and walrus and some other sea life but finding online reviews for them is nearly impossible ....this alone shows how much popular model dinosaurs are than these...
Farm animals and other domestic life is slightly more common  than ocean life in terms of reviews and forums...and even in merchandise...
other hobbies such as trains,cars,trucks,bulldozers,planes and even stamp collecting..have there own niche..they are popular and i haven't read that much about them,but it seems some of them they go back over 100yrs in terms of collectors items...

The most major difference between them and dinosaur collecting from my standpoint ,is that with all them above ,nothing new about there appearance is going to be updated every few years,sure they may add new trucks or trains,but thats maybe after 7 or 8yrs or less ...with dinosaurs they get updated yearly ..for example they know pretty much everything about a cow or horse esp its physical appearance..the newer model of the horse isn't going to look drastically different from the model 50yrs ago of the same breed....
Pretty much nothing is known about dinosaurs apart from their appearance and even thats still mostly guesswork..
its a near guarantee that every current model or resin kit that claims to be the most accurate will be outdated in a few years...so many models that claimed to be the most accurate even 5yrs ago are now outdated...and that is what makes collecting dinosaurs so great to collect from my view....

Bread

Although not one of the items you listed, but I collect (some) Star Wars: The Black Series by Hasbro figures.

I enjoy the Star Wars franchise, mainly old republic and clone wars era. I grew up with the Prequel Trilogy, plus Clone Wars TV show so that is why I have such a favoritism over the Original Trilogy. I do dislike the sequels, but they're still watchable.

Anyways, collecting these figures gives me a break from dinosaurs and prehistoric fauna. As much as I love prehistoric life, especially dinosaurs, I sometimes face a pause in my collecting habits; followed by the need to sell off some figures. I do this with both of my collections at times. These two separate genres of collecting both have their sweet spots for me. Usually I tend to favor one based on also media content. It really gives that sort of drive or brings back the interest.

Slight different hobby is cars. Both model toys and actual cars. I was fortunate enough to grow up with these in my life, old classics. I've always been a C3 Corvette fan, too. They're pretty affordable funny enough compared to the ridiculous price(s) for modern cars and other old classics. I love the look over power as I was always taught that there is going to be something faster than yours.

I feel as though my main similarity between all of these collecting habits is due to the appreciation of art. I like the way a prehistoric model appears due to the sense of mystery, the sci-fi behind Star Wars and its artwork, and the specific model and look of cars.

SidB

I think that you've hit on a significant element, avatar_dyno77 @dyno77 , when you emphasize the changing, dynamic element of dinosaur collecting, reflecting the ever advancing aspect of our knowledge of these creatures. It gives a freshness to the hobby, a living quality that some other types of collecting don't necessarily possess. For example, I also collect diecast models of Ford Thunderbirds from 1955 - 2005, primarily in 1/64 and 1/43 scales. The vast majority have been manufactured in years past - there are few new introductions, and our knowledge of the cars themselves is constant, i.e., static. That has one advantage, the possibility of acquiring a comprehensive collection, but by its nature, it will lack the dynamic element of the dinos, of course. Below:

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.