You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

avatar_Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

SHARKABET: A Sea of Sharks From A to Z

Started by Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews), July 27, 2022, 08:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Sharkabet: A Sea of Sharks from A to Z
I've just reviewed an oldie-but-goodie from funky paleo- and fish-artist Ray Troll, better known for his participation in research on Helicoprion and for his paleo-themed travelogue series "Cruisin' the Fossil Freeway" with Kirk Johnson.
"Sharkabet" is exactly what it sounds like: a shark-themed ABC book that features not only true sharks, but chondrichthyans of all types both prehistoric and modern, familiar and obscure.

It was a pleasant surprise given how old this book is that Troll had already largely settled on what is now the consensus view of the general appearance of Helicoprion, though here it looks a little more "sharky" than it does in his more recent illustrations, and it still sport the "Goblin Shark nose" that was something of a paleoart meme for this species in the early 2000s.

Of course no book that includes prehistoric sharks can avoid Megalodon, and I took a picture of its page along with the Collecta model so I would have an excuse to direct my audience's attention to this fantastic model. Here's my review of the Collecta Megalodon, incidentally. I made sure to plug the Dino Toy Blog as well! https://dinodadreviews.com/2022/07/24/shark-week-collecta-megalodon/

If you don't already have this book, I highly recommend it! If you have any young people in your life, this might be a good way to get them hooked on the inimitable paleoart of Ray Troll, and to steer some of the overhyped normies away from Shark Week nonsense.

Stegotyranno420

Thanks for sharing, my second grade self would had loved this book, or heck, worshipped it

SBell

I love that book. I love Troll's artwork

Fembrogon

Oh, man, I remember checking this out from my library several times as a kid. I had almost forgotten about it; I should definitely get a copy of my own now!

suspsy

Pretty sure I still have a copy around somewhere. I should get it out and give it to my kids.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.