News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Does the Safari Ltd Deinonychus work as a Utahraptor?

Started by JimoAi, September 30, 2022, 12:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

Hi, am considering to purchase the 2020 Safari LTD Deinonychus to use as a Utahraptor. Is there any striking physical characteristics that are different between the 2? Thanks!

Lynx

Utahraptor has a more boxy snout and much broader shape. Not much more I can think of besides that. I would say it doesn't really work, but it is a fine stand-in.
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

On second thought, after taking another look at the figure, I think it would be fine for a Utahraptor.
An oversized house cat.

Halichoeres

Not discrete characters, but proportions are definitely different. While the Safari version might have slightly thicker legs than the real thing to give it some stability, Utahraptor would have been ever stockier. I think the wings would have been shorter, and the second toe, while huge, would be proportionally smaller. Eyeballing Hartman's skeletal diagram, I'd say the tail should be shorter too. https://www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/at-long-last-utahraptor
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.