News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

How many of you use iNaturalist?

Started by Avian, February 12, 2023, 08:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avian

I was browsing the "How many of you are birdwatchers?" thread and it occurred to me that I have never seen iNaturalist mentioned on the DTF it would be worth a shot asking. I am personally a big fan and user of the site and, knowing a lot of the common interests here, figured you all would be as well.

So, how many of you use iNat?
You must understand the past before you can change the future.

bmathison1972

I am an identifier of North American click beetles on iNaturalist, but I have tempted to leave many times. The overwhelming abundance of bad data due to people blindly accepting incorrect AI-generated IDs, instead of doing their due-diligence to see if the ID makes sense, is a constant point of aggravation for me.
But I enjoy looking at photographs of insects, so I stay  ;D

Stegotyranno420

I had the app for about 2 years.

There is not a lot of wildlife in my area that interests me, but it is fun to test out the AI ID.
Good application

Gwangi

I've been on it for a couple years. I enjoy it. There are some misidentifications on there but more knowledgeable members seem to correct them fairly quickly.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on February 12, 2023, 10:00:54 PMI've been on it for a couple years. I enjoy it. There are some misidentifications on there but more
Knowledgeable members seem to correct them fairly quickly.

I probably see a lot more misidentifications because insects are probably harder for the ID to get right, and since they are small it takes really good images to capture any necessary features

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 12, 2023, 10:50:51 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on February 12, 2023, 10:00:54 PMI've been on it for a couple years. I enjoy it. There are some misidentifications on there but more

I probably see a lot more misidentifications because insects are probably harder for the ID to get right, and since they are small it takes really good images to capture any necessary features

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I've uploaded a few things with basic identifications that have so far failed to get verified or identified more narrowly. And it's usually things like plants and invertebrates.

At the very least, it's a useful tool for me personally when researching what lives around me and where I might be able to find various organisms. And I participate in a couple projects on there that use my uploads and I'm happy to take part in that.

DinoToyForum

I have the app on my phone. It has been invaluable to me as I've been building up a list of all of the flora in my garden. I also have an excellent field guide book, which I always attempt to use before I go the easy route and point a phone camera at it! I want to understand the anatomical differences and characteristics, so attempting to use a manual key really helps with that. But often, when a species is non-native, I can't find it in my book anyway – I've wasted some time doing that!

Avian

Ive been able to get a relatively cheap clip on lense that fastens to my phone camera, and magnifies the image quite clearly about 15 times. Costs about 20 or so dollars and allows me to get some really cool, up close photos of lichens and ants and such.

Gwangi

Quote from: Avian on February 13, 2023, 12:17:15 AM

Ive been able to get a relatively cheap clip on lense that fastens to my phone camera, and magnifies the image quite clearly about 15 times. Costs about 20 or so dollars and allows me to get some really cool, up close photos of lichens and ants and such.

Do you have a link to that? I have an Iphone and it gets in pretty close, but I would not mind getting closer!

Avian

Quote from: Gwangi on February 13, 2023, 12:23:41 AM

Do you have a link to that? I have an Iphone and it gets in pretty close, but I would not mind getting closer!

Heres the link to the lenses on Amazon. It comes with a fisheye, wide angle, and the most useful, a 20x macro. The lenses interchangeably screw onto a clip that goes onto the phone. I have an iPhone with 2 cameras, and the macro lense must be clipped onto the top one to be properly used.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Avian on February 13, 2023, 02:35:59 AM

Heres the link to the lenses on Amazon. It comes with a fisheye, wide angle, and the most useful, a 20x macro. The lenses interchangeably screw onto a clip that goes onto the phone. I have an iPhone with 2 cameras, and the macro lense must be clipped onto the top one to be properly used.

The link was broken so I fixed it for you. Also, I'm tempted to get one of these lenses too!

Gwangi

Quote from: Avian on February 13, 2023, 02:35:59 AM

Thanks for sharing that! Adding it to the wishlist.  ^-^

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.