You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Australia TV Documentary

Started by Thylacine, December 05, 2012, 05:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thylacine

Hey guys.  Been a long time lurker here.  I'd like to share something with you all.  Talk about a blast from the past.  I recently dug up an old VHS tape and transferred it to PC via DVR.  I managed to uncover this gem of a documentary made in 1995 called Prehistoric Australia (Once Upon a Time in Australia) and posted it on youtube.  Unlike modern documentaries that use CGI to tell the story of natural evolution, this doc uses stop-motion animation.  Stop-motion is becoming a lost art, and seeing it used for a documentary like this instead of the now overused CGI is a real treat.

Check out the ancient wildlife here from Allosaurus and Timimus to the Diprotodon, Thylacaleo, Megalania and Thylacine.

Prehistoric Australia Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDIS1qARkjA

Prehistoric Australia Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcBTryb3Pes

I hope you all enjoy this.  I know I did since I was a kid in elementary school all those years ago. 

tyrantqueen

Those were great :) I may be in a minority here, but I always think stop-motion suits retro, tail dragging dinos better than anything else. I do love retro dinosaurs greatly of course :)

My brain works like this:

Stop motion = Valley of Gwangi type dinos
CGi = Jurassic Park and the dinosaur Renaissance

I dunno, I'm pretty weird I guess 8)

Thylacine

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 05, 2012, 06:12:44 PM
Those were great :) I may be in a minority here, but I always think stop-motion suits retro, tail dragging dinos better than anything else. I do love retro dinosaurs greatly of course :)

My brain works like this:

Stop motion = Valley of Gwangi type dinos
CGi = Jurassic Park and the dinosaur Renaissance

I dunno, I'm pretty weird I guess 8)

Thanks.  The funny thing is that the documentary posted above for the most part features more anatomically correct dinosaurs with the tails being held off the ground.  The only inaccuracy I can think of is the deinonychus having no feathers.  As a heads up, the embeded videos seem to have a strange frame rate problem where the video jitters when viewed here.  I recommend clicking on the video image and watching this documentary on the youtube website to avoid this problem entirely.

Brontozaurus

I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS DOCO FOR YEARS THANK YOU SO MUCH

I had a VHS tape of it from when it was shown on TV but it cut off the beginning. Aside from clips put up by the animator, I haven't seen it for years.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Thylacine

Quote from: Brontozaurus on December 06, 2012, 05:48:38 AM
I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS DOCO FOR YEARS THANK YOU SO MUCH

I had a VHS tape of it from when it was shown on TV but it cut off the beginning. Aside from clips put up by the animator, I haven't seen it for years.

I knew that I would bring some smiles to a few people with this video.  Its one of my favorite prehistoric documentaries.  I'm surprised the director/animator that worked on this posted such a terrible clip with terrible audio on youtube.  Glad you enjoyed rewatching the show.  I might still have some other older documentaries too I might want to post soon.  ;D

DinoToyForum

Great show, the old stop motion certainly has a charm.  :)

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Blade-of-the-Moon

The bit with the Allosaurus was really cool..instantly reminds me of Tippet's Prehistoric Beast and the additional scenes he created for the Christopher Reeve docu.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.