You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New paper on mass of giant sauropods

Started by Remko, June 09, 2023, 01:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remko

It seems there's a new paper by Gregory S. Paul and Eofauna's Asier Larramendi about the mass of giant sauropods, suggesting that they may have rivaled tha largest whales in weight, and attaining large weights (100+ metric tons) in land animals like sauropods may have been much easier than previously thought.

It's open acces here:

Body mass estimate of Bruhathkayosaurus and other fragmentary sauropod remains suggest the largest land animals were about as big as the greatest whales

Stegotyranno420

Let's go,take that Mammalia, y'all mammals better watch out! Sauropsids now got ichthyosaurs AND sauropods rivaling your oh-so-fancy cetaceans.

oh wait...

I hope these turn out true. If you think about it, one of the reasons sauropods grew so big was their airsacks, so while on Earth that would function as "negative weight" in reality it would add to their mass(not weight), although minimally. I wonder how large they would be if you added the "lost weight"

I do have doubts with Bruthakyosaurus. Such a large animal living on an island(at the time) seems unlikely but I am sure there can be a loophole.

Remko

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 09, 2023, 05:51:27 PMI do have doubts with Bruthakyosaurus. Such a large animal living on an island(at the time) seems unlikely but I am sure there can be a loophole.

Well, to be fair, the island was India. And it was a huge place, not a small island like in Jurassic Europe. More like an island continent similar to Australia, except somewhat smaller. 

Stegotyranno420

I am aware of the size, but I am not sure what would be the limits for insular gigantism or dwarfism, but evolution can suprise

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Remko

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 09, 2023, 06:28:18 PMI am aware of the size, but I am not sure what would be the limits for insular gigantism or dwarfism, but evolution can suprise

Well, India is about 4,4 million square kilometers. Cretaceous Laramidia was also an island continent about 7,8 million square kilometers, and I wouldn't really call Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops and Alamosaurus, to name a few, examples of "insular dwarfism".

Compare this to HaČ›eg Island in Romania at about 80,000 square kilometers and where insular dwarfism was a thing.   ;)  :)

Stegotyranno420

You know R @Remko you are right, I stand corrected

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.