News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Skeletal Help

Started by ZoPteryx, December 12, 2012, 09:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

Does anyone know of any skeletal/skull diagrams of the following dinos:  Kayentavenator, Leshansaurus, Sciurumimus, Bicentenaria, Yutyrannus, Hexing, Qiupalong, Xixianykus, Linheraptor, Linhevenator, Xixiposaurus, Elaltitan, Haya, Koreanosaurus, Xuwulong, Latirhinus, and Blasisaurus, and Kaatedocus, Lapampasaurus, and Proa.

If you know of any, please post them!  ;D

Thanks! :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Wow..that's some list.  I know Hartman was working on a Yutyrannus one..I think all he has so far is the skull.

Have done a google search for them ? Or tried Deviant Art ?

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 12, 2012, 10:03:16 PM
Wow..that's some list.  I know Hartman was working on a Yutyrannus one..I think all he has so far is the skull.

Have done a google search for them ? Or tried Deviant Art ?

Yup, I've already googled all of them.  I did find Linheraptor and Haya on Deviant Art, but I'd prefer to use skeletals from a more public source if possible; although I am giving all artists credit no matter the source.

I did see Scott Hartman's Yutyrannus skull and I'm using it, but I'm surprized that no complete skeletal had been done yet.

Update:  I found a Yutyrannus skeletal on Deviant Art. ^-^

Blade-of-the-Moon

If your using them to flesh out a drawing or sculpture you may also want to check out the source of the image if your aiming for accuracy.

Are of those in the latest Greg Paul book ? I don't have it yet myself.

ZoPteryx

No, none of these are in GSP's book, they were discovered after its publication.  That's actually why I need them, I'm creating an unofficial supplement for it, complete with skeletals and life restorations (the latter of which I'll make myself based on the skeletals  ^-^).  I'm done with the text, just fishining up the art.

I'm being as careful as I can with regards to accuracy, with my primary sources being actual scientific papers with skeletals in them or the work of artists that generally seem quite accurate and up-to-date.  I do make modifications were necessary though, like fixing pronated hands! :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Ah okay.  Not sure I can be of much more help though, I just basically search around. Maybe you can email Hartman and see if he has anymore or plans to ?

EmperorDinobot

Skeletals do not exist for many of those on your list. Trust me on that. Be patient and they will come along. I'm still waiting to see Lanzhousaurus, which is known from many remains...

wings

Quote from: Zopteryx on December 21, 2012, 12:13:42 AM
I'm being as careful as I can with regards to accuracy, with my primary sources being actual scientific papers with skeletals in them or the work of artists that generally seem quite accurate and up-to-date.  I do make modifications were necessary though, like fixing pronated hands! :)
This would seem like an odd question to ask, but if you have the primary source (the actual paper) is there any reasons that you can't construct the skeletal on your own? Or none of the papers have photos of the specimen in them?

ZoPteryx

Quote from: wings on December 21, 2012, 02:15:51 PM
This would seem like an odd question to ask, but if you have the primary source (the actual paper) is there any reasons that you can't construct the skeletal on your own? Or none of the papers have photos of the specimen in them?

All the info I have is what's freely available on line, so if there's no photos then I'm at a loss.  I do plan on drawing my own skeletals for Sciurumimus and Bicentenaria, but only because they're complete and there's good photos of the fossils on the web.  I've never drawn skeletals like these before, so it'll be interesting. :)  As more professional skeletals come along, I'll replace mine with theirs.

If I can find photos of the fossils that are good but not great, I might include them in place of a skeletal, rather than trying to come up with the missing pieces.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Zopteryx on December 22, 2012, 07:27:27 AM
Quote from: wings on December 21, 2012, 02:15:51 PM

All the info I have is what's freely available on line, so if there's no photos then I'm at a loss.  I do plan on drawing my own skeletals for Sciurumimus and Bicentenaria, but only because they're complete and there's good photos of the fossils on the web.  I've never drawn skeletals like these before, so it'll be interesting. :)  As more professional skeletals come along, I'll replace mine with theirs.

If I can find photos of the fossils that are good but not great, I might include them in place of a skeletal, rather than trying to come up with the missing pieces.
If you want, you are welcome to use my new drawing of Yutyrannus, I drew it mainly from pictures of the fossil and used Scott Hartman's skull diagram for the head. It is feathered from head to toe, has non-pronated hands, and was made as accurate as possible. It was drawn for my novel, but you are definatly welcome to use it.

Here it is.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

ZoPteryx

Thanks for the offer Yutyrannus!  For the sake of consistencey, I think I'll stick with my own life restorations; but I'll let you know if I change my mind. :)

I've decided to mark a few off the list, too little is known it seems to make a skeletal worth inclusion.  Unfortnately, a few have also been added to the list!  Slow down paleontology, you're discovering things too fast! :o

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.