You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

T

Deinocheirus Mystery, How was it solved in Detail?

Started by Tylosaurus, March 21, 2012, 01:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horridus

What is the situation with M. bucklandii - aren't the fragments distinctive enough? Wasn't there a paper on that a few years back? Iguanodon, on the other hand...well, we all know what happened there. The type species is now Iguanodon bernissartensis, with all that entails!
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

DinoFan45

Well, for the further frustration of paleontologists and enthusiasts alike, read this
http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/dinosaur/2012/04/tarbosaurus-leftovers-explain-dinosaur-mystery/
We found scraps. Of a meal. For a tarbosaurus.
"Life will find a way."

ZoPteryx

Darn you Tarbosaurus! >:(

Still, I can't imagine that it would have eaten the head and neck, so maybe those are still out there.

DinoFan45

I could see it happen. It is the cousin of T.rex, Which can easily crunch bone. They probably left little for scavengers to eat.
"Life will find a way."

Horridus

Quote from: DinoFan45 on April 25, 2012, 11:59:05 PM
They probably left little for scavengers to eat.
Or other scavengers - Tarbosaurus may have been scavenging itself.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

CityRaptor

Can't really blame Tarbosaurus. Deinocheirus probably tasted like chicken.  ;D
Fun aside ( even if it is not as unlikely as you think, given that crocodile meat indeed tastes like chicken ), I don't think there won't be some other remains found in the future.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DinoFan45

Probably not at that site. But we must hope for finds elsewhere. Or this will be one of the last mysteries of the earth. From the fossil record at the least.
"Life will find a way."

Gwangi

Quote from: CityRaptor on April 26, 2012, 07:25:12 PM
Fun aside ( even if it is not as unlikely as you think, given that crocodile meat indeed tastes like chicken ), I don't think there won't be some other remains found in the future.

I dunno. I've had duck, pheasant and turkey...none of them taste like chicken.

Horridus

Quote from: Gwangi on April 26, 2012, 10:16:48 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on April 26, 2012, 07:25:12 PM
I dunno. I've had duck, pheasant and turkey...none of them taste like chicken.
Nor does ostrich.
@Mhorridus

CityRaptor

Okay, maybe not. I know that duck does not taste like chicken. Crocodile however does.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Dinoguy2

The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

ZoPteryx

More mysteries, and fewer answers.  Science can be excruciating! :o ;)

VD231991

Quote from: Horridus on April 04, 2012, 09:21:12 PMWhat is the situation with M. bucklandii - aren't the fragments distinctive enough? Wasn't there a paper on that a few years back? Iguanodon, on the other hand...well, we all know what happened there. The type species is now Iguanodon bernissartensis, with all that entails!
This thread may be a decade old, but the Megalosaurus paper you mention was published by Benson (2010), who demonstrated that the lectotype dentary of M. bucklandii is distinctive among Middle Jurassic non-avetheropod tetanurans.

Moving on to the topic of this thread, Lee et al. (2014) solved the mystery of what Deinocheirus truly looked like by describing skeletons of this animal showing that it represents an odd ornithomimosaur with a hadrosaurid-like snout and huge hump on its back.

Benson, R. B. J., 2010. A description of Megalosaurus bucklandii (Dinosauria: Theropoda) from the Bathonian of the UK and the relationships of Middle Jurassic theropods. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 158 (4): 882–935. doi:10.1111/j.1096-3642.2009.00569.x.

Lee, Y.N., Barsbold, R., Currie, P.J., Kobayashi, Y., Lee, H.J., Godefroit, P., Escuillié, F.O., and Chinzorig, T., 2014. Resolving the long-standing enigmas of a giant ornithomimosaur Deinocheirus mirificus. Nature 515 (7526): 257–260. doi:10.1038/nature13874.

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

dyno77

Megalosaurus itself could be in trouble since no new specimens have been found in decades...The original femur bone assigned to megalosaurus was never located ,The only remains are in the oxford museum and nhm in london also has a few fossils in the storage room.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.