News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Alamosaurus with armor?

Started by Joel, September 26, 2012, 08:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel

I'm wondering if it's possible that an adult Alamosaurus had armor like other titanosaurs? And if it did, how much or how little would have had? Thanks!

Gryphoceratops

As far as I know there is no skin impressions or evidence or armor from alamosaurus but its highly fragmentary anyway so I'm sure it could have had armor like some other titanosaurs.  As for how much again I don't think anybody knows.  Maybe look at the ones we know of like saltosaurus and make some references there?

Joel

Thanks for the info. I'm nearly finished on depiction of the big guy right now. I think I'm going to use the armor pattern of Saltosaurus as a reference as you suggested, but making the individual osteoderms smaller. I've heard the armor was large in the juveniles, but did not increase in size as the animal grew.

TheAllosaur

Well, i'm no professional, but I think it's possible.
Part-time genius!

Jetoar

I think the same that you friend ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

andrewsaurus rex

Digging up an old thread here.   It's my understanding that it is now widely believed that Alamosaurus DID have armour on at least its back, is that correct?  Online info is somewhat contradictory.

Halichoeres

Since the last comment on this thread, Carrano and D'Emic described some Alamosaurus osteoderms: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02724634.2014.901334

I checked out some of the papers that cited this one, to see if anybody pushed back on their claims. But everybody seems pretty satisfied that they're really osteoderms and really belong to Alamosaurus. So yes, I'd say there is pretty good cause to think that Alamosaurus was wearing some armor.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

andrewsaurus rex

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.