News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

JURASSIC PARK & James Cameron

Started by dragon53, September 21, 2023, 05:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon53

TRIVIA---four studios competed for the movie rights to Michael Crichton's JURASSIC PARK novel. Universal Pictures won the competition and picked Steven Spielberg to direct the dinosaur movie. The other three studios also had their designated directors for JURASSIC PARK if they had bought the movie rights. Columbia Pictures had Richard Donner (LETHAL WEAPON, SUPERMAN), Warner Bros. had Tim Burton (BATMAN) and 20th Century Fox had Joe Dante (GREMLINS). However, James Cameron sought the movie rights on his own, but lost to Universal and Spielberg. Cameron said, "I tried to buy the book rights and he beat me to it by a few hours...But when I saw the film, I realized that I was not the right person to make the film, he was. Because he made a dinosaur movie for kids, and mine would have been ALIENS with dinosaurs, and that wouldn't have been fair."
He added, "Dinosaurs are for 8-year-olds. We can all enjoy it, too, but kids get dinosaurs and they should not have been excluded for that. His sensibility was right for that film. I'd have gone further, nastier, much nastier."