News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Off the cliff, goes the big one.

Started by Takama, March 14, 2013, 02:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

This has been makeing me wonder.  If a Sauropod fell off a High cliff, would it die like a human, or survive?

ajax

It would die like a sauropod not a human, If this is ment to be a joke of some kind I don't get it?
A smashed ribcage = ruptured lungs = death.

amargasaurus cazaui

A famous scientist once said if you drop a mouse a thousand feet it lies there stunned a few minutes then might scurry off. If you drop a human being that far it breaks, and if you drop a horse it splatters.From that analogy you can surmise the answer
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

SBell

Mammoths and bison, among other large animals I'm sure, are known to have been killed using 'jumps'--ridges or high point that large animals are driven off of and then die (or are severely injured to be dispatched soon after).

So if the mass of an animal increases by a factor of 10 or 100--it's simple physics.  The stresses on the body would be lethal. And if an animal is 50, 60 or 100 tonnes, I'm guessing that the fall wouldn't even need to be that far.

Is there a particular reason this is on your mind? It does seem like an odd sort of consideration.

CityRaptor

I think I know the inspiration for that question! It happened to one in the 1925 movie version of The Lost World.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Takama

I was planning on writeing a story where a sauropod falls off a cliff. And lands in a lake were a territorial theropod was drinking.    He then claims the territory and counts the injured sauropod as his food.

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 14, 2013, 06:30:49 AM
I think I know the inspiration for that question! It happened to one in the 1925 movie version of The Lost World.

There's also a scene in a Discovery documentary--I think Dinosaur Planet (the one narrated by Christian Slater). I think it's the Pyroraptor episode, but I could be wrong.

Gryphoceratops

In the dino mini series When Dinosaurs Roamed America narrated by John Goodman i think an Apatosaurus falls off a small cliff and injures itself to the point where it cant get up.  Then some Allosaurus eat it.

SBell

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on March 14, 2013, 09:47:16 PM
In the dino mini series When Dinosaurs Roamed America narrated by John Goodman i think an Apatosaurus falls off a small cliff and injures itself to the point where it cant get up.  Then some Allosaurus eat it.

Maybe that was it...maybe it shows up more often than we realize.

Iguanocolossus

Mr. Square-Cube Law says it will look like a sloppy joe after it lands.

Takama

Quote from: SBell on March 15, 2013, 04:39:57 AM
Quote from: Gryphoceratops on March 14, 2013, 09:47:16 PM

Maybe that was it...maybe it shows up more often than we realize.

It also happend in 2005s King Kong, were the crew has to run away from a herd of them

Quote from: Iguanocolossus on March 16, 2013, 12:26:59 AM
Mr. Square-Cube Law says it will look like a sloppy joe after it lands.

Perfect for my story, Thanks everyone

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.