News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Crocodilian Suggestions

Started by ZoPteryx, March 15, 2012, 11:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

I hope to modify a bunch of little nameless crocodile figures into prehistoric crocodilians (or other crurotarsi) and so I'm looking for suggested species to replicate in 1:40.  Preferably, they should be quite distinctive looking/bizarre species.  The toys I'm customizing range from about 2.5 inches (7-9 scale feet) to 8.5 inches (28-30 scale feet).  I already have Sarcosuchus, Redondasaurus, & Aegisuchus covered.  Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance! :D

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Zopteryx on March 15, 2012, 11:57:40 PM
I hope to modify a bunch of little nameless crocodile figures into prehistoric crocodilians (or other crurotarsi) and so I'm looking for suggested species to replicate in 1:40.  Preferably, they should be quite distinctive looking/bizarre species.  The toys I'm customizing range from about 2.5 inches (7-9 scale feet) to 8.5 inches (28-30 scale feet).  I already have Sarcosuchus, Redondasaurus, & Aegisuchus covered.  Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance! :D
How about Purussaurus, Stomatosuchus, or the giant filter feeder Mourasuchus?

Purussaurus

Mourasuchus

ZoPteryx

Stomatosuchus sounds great, thanks Paleoferroequine!  I'll convert the Schleich crocodile into that.

Keep the suggestions coming! I have about 20 of these little crocs to modify, most are in the 3-3.5 inch range (8-10 feet at 1:40).

paleoferroequine

Here's a Purussaurus I did a few years ago.

ZoPteryx

Wow!  I doubt I can match that quality!  Was that the Safari croc originally?

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Zopteryx on March 16, 2012, 10:12:18 PM
Yes it is, here it is unpainted but primed.

ZoPteryx

So cool!  Is the head completely new or did you modify the original one?  And what are the added bits made of?

Roktman

Quote from: paleoferroequine on March 16, 2012, 10:27:16 PM
Quote from: Zopteryx on March 16, 2012, 10:12:18 PM
Yes it is, here it is unpainted but primed.

Looks great!

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Zopteryx on March 16, 2012, 10:32:37 PM
So cool!  Is the head completely new or did you modify the original one?  And what are the added bits made of?
It has an all new head made from Sculpey baking polymer clay and teeth and neck detail from epoxy putty.  Although now I would use Magic Sculpt epoxy putty instead for the whole thing.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.