News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ingenia`s sculpts: now digital (and a question)

Started by ingenia, March 18, 2012, 08:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Terrible news. I hope maybe they can eventually rule it out completely for you. I've never heard that epoxy causes any issues. I can sympathize though..this material I use to coat pieces currently smokes a bit and I was worried it was affecting my breathing even though it's outside and I use a mask I am quite close to it.  I have no proof it's the culprit so I decided to continue on with what I love, just my experience is all.   I really do hope you can continue with your beautiful work. Is your brother also quitting ?  I know it makes me sound like a " ghoul " ( I've been accused of it on more than one occasion in my line of work.. ;) ) but yes, as Tyrant Queen said, if you do ever decide to part with any of your pieces even this current one please let us know.  We would love to give them a good home.  That all said, take care and I hope you stick around the forum at least !

ingenia

Thanks to everyone!
tyrantqueen, yes,I will keep the sculptures.They have a meaning for me, although I have to say I took them off the wall at the moment, everything epoxy-related is gone from my home now.
I am planning to teach myself the methods of digital sculpting, which will take a lot of time, and I know I could fail, but my long time goal is to be able to create digital dinosaur sculptures with the possibility of physical copies.Maybe I will even try to  draw or to create digital drawings if I find the time.
Blade, I will stay at the DTF, I just fear I will be not a very active member the  next time.
As I know for now, my brother will finish his actual work, an Alioramus bust, and it will be the last piece shown in this thread.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Very glad to see your not giving up entirely...feel free to post any type of art you do here.  We have members who do those types of art as well and I'm sure they would more than happy to give you feedback and even assist you in learning if you want.

Perhaps your brother could create his own account here ? Would be a great way for us to see his work and get to know him as well.

I have every confidence you'll succeed in finding some way to express your art and love for dinosaurs. :)

TheAllosaur

Well, they were excellent while they lasted. :)
I hope you start drawing!
Get well soon!
Part-time genius!

Himmapaan

I echo the others; so sorry to hear of your health and your decision, but I'm very glad to know you'll be finding new ways to create.

ZoPteryx

Best wishes Ingenia, hopefully this health issue is only temporary. :)  Just a thought, have you considered using latex gloves while handling the epoxy?

Lady medusa

Omg! Extremely sad news! Sorry for the late condolences but besides short glances at Facebook, the occasional check on devianart I've kinda been off the grid training myself to sculpt and plus setting up my art studio. Have you ever considered having your sculpts molded and casted?
But I understand-fully the change. Good luck with digital sculpting! Maybe you could do some tutorials :)

Balaur

Oh, boy. I hope you get better Ingenia, and I know you'll find a few to do paleoart. Good luck!

ingenia

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on December 07, 2012, 12:20:25 AM
Oh, boy. I hope you get better Ingenia, and I know you'll find a few to do paleoart. Good luck!
Quote from: Lady medusa on December 06, 2012, 11:47:37 PM
Omg! Extremely sad news! Sorry for the late condolences but besides short glances at Facebook, the occasional check on devianart I've kinda been off the grid training myself to sculpt and plus setting up my art studio. Have you ever considered having your sculpts molded and casted?
But I understand-fully the change. Good luck with digital sculpting! Maybe you could do some tutorials :)

Thanks to both of you.
As sad as the decision to end my sculpting work was, I now have the opportunity to get into digital sculpting, so that there is no creative hole.
Lady  medusa, I already thought you had left the DTF, nice to have you back here!

ingenia

I wasn`t very active lately at the DTF, but as I said before I am trying to get into digital sculpting with zbrush, so this thread will be used for pictures of my digital work (but I fear it won`t be very often cause I am still learning the basics).
This was my first real attempt to sculpt a dinosaur, just with the little knowledge I have in digital sculpting:

Hopefully I will get better,( I am reading through four books about this program), but I think the Styraco looks okay for the moment, as it was done in a short time.I didn`t look too much for anatomical correctness, sorry for that ;)

Something completely different, but I didn`t want to make an own thread for it:

Can someone tell me if this is just a bizarre stone or some kind of fossil?

I found it about a month ago, I thought it was a fossil because it has this point structure in parallel rows.

Thanks!

gorgosaurus

Your stone looks like a fragment of a crushed echinoid internal cast.
Spike.

tyrantqueen

That Styracosaurus actually looks really good for your first sculpt :)

Would you consider making your future sculpts available on Shapeways? New Shapeways creators are always in demand.

wings

Quote from: ingenia on February 18, 2013, 06:47:25 PM
I found it about a month ago, I thought it was a fossil because it has this point structure in parallel rows.
Probably yes and no, it looks like there are some fragmented shells in the matrix (maybe some of them aren't too broken up but it is a little hard to see from the photo), as to the "parallel rows", they might be impressions of some kind of gastropods (the cone-shaped kind, but obviously the shells aren't there any more). Without knowing the local species it is difficult to tell exactly what they are, so basically you have some fossilized materials (shells) embedded in siltstone/mudstone (?).

ingenia

Quote from: wings on February 19, 2013, 06:53:46 AM
Quote from: ingenia on February 18, 2013, 06:47:25 PM
Probably yes and no, it looks like there are some fragmented shells in the matrix (maybe some of them aren't too broken up but it is a little hard to see from the photo), as to the "parallel rows", they might be impressions of some kind of gastropods (the cone-shaped kind, but obviously the shells aren't there any more). Without knowing the local species it is difficult to tell exactly what they are, so basically you have some fossilized materials (shells) embedded in siltstone/mudstone (?).
Quote from: gorgosaurus on February 18, 2013, 11:54:44 PM
Your stone looks like a fragment of a crushed echinoid internal cast.
Spike.

Thanks for the information, my first thought was that it is a part of a sea urchin, but I agree, it is hard to tell.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 19, 2013, 12:13:44 AM
That Styracosaurus actually looks really good for your first sculpt :)

Would you consider making your future sculpts available on Shapeways? New Shapeways creators are always in demand.

Thanks!
If I could achieve the quality I am aiming for and there would be some interest, then Shapeways would be my goal.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.