You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf and its blatant misinformation

Started by Hermes888, August 19, 2013, 06:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hermes888

Does anyone else here play the Animal Crossing series? I played some Wild World a few years back, and I've recently gotten really into New Leaf.
In case you haven't played it, it's a game that takes place in real time, where each new day in the real world is a new day in the game. Each day, there are four fossils buried around town, which you can dig up and have the museum curator analyzed. There's not much scientific accuracy, but I don't mind changes to make the game more fun. It's not like it's trying to be educational... right?
The last fossil my museum needed was the skull of a Pteranodon, and after finally finding it and donating it, I took a look at the descriptive plaque.
"Pteranodons were a type of winged reptile, perhaps the ancestors of common birds. With their wings spread, they were about the size of a small airplane, but their bodies were very light. Strangely, they weighed less than 50 pounds, with wings made from skin, allowing for ease of flight."
Why have an informational plaque but not bother doing any decent research for it? While some of the other positions of the fossils or the information on the plaques might be outdated or inaccurate, this one takes the cake as the worst.
Shame on you Nintendo, no one should refer to pterosaurs as the ancestors of birds in the 21st century.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Hermes888 on August 19, 2013, 06:13:28 AM
Does anyone else here play the Animal Crossing series? I played some Wild World a few years back, and I've recently gotten really into New Leaf.
In case you haven't played it, it's a game that takes place in real time, where each new day in the real world is a new day in the game. Each day, there are four fossils buried around town, which you can dig up and have the museum curator analyzed. There's not much scientific accuracy, but I don't mind changes to make the game more fun. It's not like it's trying to be educational... right?
The last fossil my museum needed was the skull of a Pteranodon, and after finally finding it and donating it, I took a look at the descriptive plaque.
"Pteranodons were a type of winged reptile, perhaps the ancestors of common birds. With their wings spread, they were about the size of a small airplane, but their bodies were very light. Strangely, they weighed less than 50 pounds, with wings made from skin, allowing for ease of flight."
Why have an informational plaque but not bother doing any decent research for it? While some of the other positions of the fossils or the information on the plaques might be outdated or inaccurate, this one takes the cake as the worst.
Shame on you Nintendo, no one should refer to pterosaurs as the ancestors of birds in the 21st century.
Oh brother

It could be the fault of the translators, rather than the original Japanese creators, but yeah, that's bad.

CityRaptor

Oh boy.

Seems like the Museum needs a better informed Curator. Something along the lines of "Did you know that I'm a Dinosaur, too?"
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Brontozaurus

I noticed that too. I should fire the curator for using Dave Peters as a source of information. Alas I cannot.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Brontozaurus on September 09, 2013, 12:50:00 PM
I noticed that too. I should fire the curator for using Dave Peters as a source of information. Alas I cannot.
Since when did David Peters claim that pterosaurs were dinosaurs? He believes that pterosaurs are lizards, not archosaurs. I don't agree with his theories either btw, but I'm just saying.

Brontozaurus

Damn, got my palaeofails mixed up. I saw some blog claiming to show how pterosaurs evolved into birds and I must have lumped it and Peters together.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

fleshanthos

Well. Pterosaurs could be dinosaurs, depending on what the first ancestral dinosaur was and when it appeared. Several features are shared, so they might be. Might not.
Check what Robert Bakker had to say on it, he presents some good observations.

People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Laughable Beliefs

HD-man

Quote from: Brontozaurus on September 10, 2013, 04:40:02 AM
Damn, got my palaeofails mixed up. I saw some blog claiming to show how pterosaurs evolved into birds and I must have lumped it and Peters together.

You're thinking of Dr. Pterosaur/Doug Dobney's "Pterosaurs to Modern Birds" (which I recently wrote about: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/journal/SD-Good-semi-good-and-bad-dino-sources-351589315 ).
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

CityRaptor

Maybe it really is just a translation error. Checked the Wiki. Atleast one game points out that it was neither Bird nor Dinosaur.

Also how about making a "Prehistoric Animal Crossing"?
Who would win in a fight? Isabelle the Canis dirus or Kiki the Smilodon populator?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.