News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Thoughts about painting a resin master?

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, May 31, 2013, 07:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

I purchased a resin figure I believe to be a Battat resin master. The tail is broken and will require repair. Once this work is done, the repair will be obvious . Aside from this the figure is a bit dirty from handling and its travels.
  The only resin masters I have seen in the forum were left unpainted monotones. I myself am leaning towards having the model repaired and painted and likely based. I just wondered about other's thoughts. Given the model is not in pristine condition to start, I see no reason not to proceed with my plans, but I wondered how other's might think.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

radman

Which one is it?  A whole bunch of these are up on ebay now, btw. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATTAT-MOS-BOSTON-RESIN-MASTERS-FOR-RETIRED-1-40-DINOSAUR-TOYS-/261221451903?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd203087f#shId

I'd like to get them, but I'd also like to stay married, so no-go for me.  If I suddenly fell into a pile of money and bought the lot, I would have these painted by Martin Garrat and/or Steve DeMarco or someone else that would do them justice.  I have the resin dilo, myself, but haven't done anything with it yet.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: radman on May 31, 2013, 08:17:10 PM
Which one is it?  A whole bunch of these are up on ebay now, btw. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATTAT-MOS-BOSTON-RESIN-MASTERS-FOR-RETIRED-1-40-DINOSAUR-TOYS-/261221451903?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd203087f#shId

I'd like to get them, but I'd also like to stay married, so no-go for me.  If I suddenly fell into a pile of money and bought the lot, I would have these painted by Martin Garrat and/or Steve DeMarco or someone else that would do them justice.  I have the resin dilo, myself, but haven't done anything with it yet.
I was able to acquire an amargasaurus from a fellow forum member. As it is one of my all time favorite dinosaurs right alongside the psittacosaurus, I was delighted to be able to get the little fellow.
    My own ideas, were I to follow them would be to place the model in Martin's hands, to be repaired, painted and given a very nice base as well. I just wondered if people felt this would seriously detract from its desireability....NOT because of Martin's work in ANY way at all, but due to altering its original condition.
  I saw that group on ebay too, and I agree, a bit steep for my blood, but what I would love to have done with those for sure.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Is it any different from repainting a cast toy? Maybe since it's in resin, the details would be crisper/sharper, but I can't see much of difference besides that. I guess there's the rarity thing to consider, but most Battats are rare anyway.

Me personally, I don't care too much about rarity, and I paint anything if the original paintjob displeases me (which is pretty common in factory paint jobs)

amargasaurus cazaui

The sentiments seem to reflect what a far wiser man then myself said, when he suggested he does not buy a dinosaur model unless he builds and paints it, regardless what it is or why.
I was leaning that way myself, so thanks for your thoughts fellow members.

amanda

I feel, personally, the value of the figure is not it's perceived worth, but the pleasure it brings you. If the repair is obvious, and the figure less than clean, when you look at it, it may always bother you. You say this is a very nice figure of one of your favorite dinos? Then, if you have the means, put it into someone's hands that can make it into a truly astounding display piece. One that will give you a sense of pride and pleasure any time you look at it. :)

postsaurischian

^ :) ... very well said, Amanda.

You should definitely send it to Martin    ....... and don't forget to show it to us afterwards ;).

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.