News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Addicted! Help?

Started by dinohunter24, August 24, 2013, 04:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinohunter24

So ever since I found about dinosaur figures, I get very anxious when I'm not buying new dinosaurs due to lack of budget.  My paycheck doesn't come soon enough and I'm far from satisfy with my collection.  I been looking for a collection I could be proud off for a long time, I tried Lego, Micro-machine Military, Warhammer 40K, and other toys, and despite how many of these collection I have I always got bore of it.  However, this time it really is different.  I was about to give up on things I used to love as a child until one day I got bore put in "dinosaur model" on Amazon and was shock to found out about dinosaur.  I think the first dinosaur I saw was the Papo velociraptor and just felt in love with it, bought back so much memories.  Usually when I have enough of a certain toys or collection, I know I am instantly bore of it and regret my purchase but not this time around.  I am addicted to dinosaurs, and feel time is my enemy, the longer I wait the more dinosaurs get retire or become collection pricing. 

Once I check come I plan on spending a lot of money because I literally don't spent money on anything else.  I only drive to work and back, I don't go out to eat, none of my friends live even 400 miles from me, and I save so much money cooking my own food.  I am a very good cook.  Nonetheless I see other people collection of animals before I even found out about this forum and they must have spent 5 figures on these alone. 

Does anyone feel like this?  You can never have enough of these wonderful dinosaur figures. 

tanystropheus

If you restrict yourself to smaller dinosaur lines like Papo or Favorite, you will be done with your collection in no time. You will only need to increase the number of models per year by 3-4 after completing your base/initial collection.

Also buy dinosaurs in bulk, rather than sporadically. You can cover more ground faster, assuming that money is not an issue.

docronnie

I feel I'm addicted too, dinohunter.  :)

But lately, I've streamlined, but still I'm collecting a lot of lines! LOL! So, I'm crazed right now! Hahahaha!  :)

The only good thing is, I don't buy on ebay.  I buy most of my dinosaurs at garage sales.  The hunting makes me extremely happy and satisfied, since I have a lot of memories to share with every dino figure I've hunted.   :) :) :) :) :)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

dinohunter24

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 24, 2013, 06:19:31 AM
If you restrict yourself to smaller dinosaur lines like Papo or Favorite, you will be done with your collection in no time. You will only need to increased the number of models per year by 3-4 after completing your base/initial collection.

Also buy dinosaurs in bulk, rather than sporadically. You can cover more ground faster, assuming that money is not an issue.

I am restricting myself to Papo and Carnegie line and Kinto if only I can find some.  I also need to start a CollectA cause they sell the majority of horn dinosaurs. 

Here is the list of dinosaurs I still need to buy

Papo Brachiosaurus
Papo Carnotaurius
Papo Running T-Rex
Papo Stegosaurus
Carnegie Brachiosaurus
Carnegie Concavenator
Carnegie Carnotaurus
Carnegie Ankylosaurus
Carnegie Dimetrodon
Carnegie Abertosaurus
Carnegie Amargasaurus
Carnegie Ankylosaurus
Carnegie Beipiaosaurus
Carnegie Camarasaurus
Carnegie Caudipteryx
Carnegie Cryolophosaurus
Carnegie Dilong
Carnegie Microraptor
Carnegie Oviraptor
Carnegie Spinosaurus
Papo Pachycephalosaurus
Bullyland Iguandon
Bullyland Apatosaurus

dinohunter24

Quote from: docronnie on August 24, 2013, 09:57:44 AM
I feel I'm addicted too, dinohunter.  :)

But lately, I've streamlined, but still I'm collecting a lot of lines! LOL! So, I'm crazed right now! Hahahaha!  :)

The only good thing is, I don't buy on ebay.  I buy most of my dinosaurs at garage sales.  The hunting makes me extremely happy and satisfied, since I have a lot of memories to share with every dino figure I've hunted.   :) :) :) :) :)

How do you feel about scale?  My safari Ceratosaurus is barely bigger than a velociraptor that it just doesn't fit in with other brand cause it not to scale. 

docronnie

I'm not much into scales, but having your collection in scale is a good idea to limit your collection, unless you want herds of every genus or species.  :)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

dinohunter24

Quote from: docronnie on August 25, 2013, 12:10:49 AM
I'm not much into scales, but having your collection in scale is a good idea to limit your collection, unless you want herds of every genus or species.  :)

I want!

tanystropheus

Quote from: dinohunter24 on August 24, 2013, 06:21:00 PM
If you restrict yourself to smaller dinosaur lines like Papo or Favorite, you will be done with your collection in no time. You will only need to increased the number of models per year by 3-4 after completing your base/initial collection.

I also need to start a CollectA cause they sell the majority of horn dinosaurs. 

Do not get carried away with CollectA figures. Some of the older CollectA figures are fuglier than the newer Schleich's and only a CollectA completist (we have a few on board) would purchase them all. CollectA's Kosmoceratops , Utahceratops and Diabloceratops are nice figures. CollectA Achelousaurus is rubbish. Personally, my ceratopsian collection consists of a combination of WS (Triceratops, Vagaceratops, Diabloceratops), Papo (Triceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus, Styracosaurus), one CollectA (Utahceratops), and one Tyco (Protoceratops). I might also pick up the Favorite Styracosaurus, because its awesome.

tanystropheus

I am restricting myself to Papo and Carnegie line and Kinto if only I can find some.  I also need to start a CollectA cause they sell the majority of horn dinosaurs. 

Here is the list of dinosaurs I still need to buy

Carnegie Dimetrodon

Why not just get the Papo Dimetrodon, instead?

dinohunter24

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 25, 2013, 05:08:44 AM

Do not get carried away with CollectA figures. Some of the older CollectA figures are fuglier than the newer Schleich's and only a CollectA completist (we have a few on board) would purchase them all. CollectA's Kosmoceratops , Utahceratops and Diabloceratops are nice figures. CollectA Achelousaurus is inaccurate, very. Personally, my ceratopsian collection consists of a combination of WS (Triceratops, Vagaceratops, Diabloceratops), Papo (Triceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus, Styracosaurus), one CollectA (Utahceratops), and one Tyco (Protoceratops). I might also pick up the Favorite Styracosaurus, because its awesome.

Here what I just order form CollectA, and a few other brand,  let me know what you think.   I finalize my purchasing decision with Takama CollectA thread with detail picture.  Accuracy is not important to me as long as the quality (detail, paint, material, design) is good. 

CollectA

Nothronychus
Kosmoceratops
Torosaurus
Alamosaurus
Ampelosaurus
Achelousaurus
Deinocherius Deluxe
Therizinosaurus

Mojo Fun Velociraptor standing

Bullyland Therizinosaurus

I am going to buy Papo Dimetrodon once it come to U.S retailer and online store.  I am not buying the best figure of each brand, but all figures that look good and I'm extremely picky due to money issue or what not.  Papo is expensive, and I have majority of Papo figures, but still missing about 6 or so.  Papo is the only brand that I have to collect all since how it look is more important to me than accuracy. 

tanystropheus

Quote from: dinohunter24 on August 25, 2013, 05:13:09 AM

Do not get carried away with CollectA figures. Some of the older CollectA figures are fuglier than the newer Schleich's and only a CollectA completist (we have a few on board) would purchase them all. CollectA's Kosmoceratops , Utahceratops and Diabloceratops are nice figures. CollectA Achelousaurus is inaccurate, very. Personally, my ceratopsian collection consists of a combination of WS (Triceratops, Vagaceratops, Diabloceratops), Papo (Triceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus, Styracosaurus), one CollectA (Utahceratops), and one Tyco (Protoceratops). I might also pick up the Favorite Styracosaurus, because its awesome.

Here what I just order form CollectA, and a few other brand,  let me know what you think.   I finalize my purchasing decision with Takama CollectA thread with detail picture.  Accuracy is not important to me as long as the quality (detail, paint, material, design) is good. 

CollectA

Nothronychus
Kosmoceratops
Torosaurus
Alamosaurus
Ampelosaurus
Achelousaurus
Deinocherius Deluxe
Therizinosaurus

I am going to buy Papo Dimetrodon once it come to U.S retailer and online store.  I am not buying the best figure of each brand, but all figures that look good and I'm extremely picky due to money issue or what not.  Papo is expensive, and I have majority of Papo figures, but still missing about 6 or so.  Papo is the only brand that I have to collect all since how it look is more important to me than accuracy.

I have included my ratings below

CollectA

Nothronychus- This figure looks very strange to me, but then again it happens to be an iconic CollectA figure ?/10
Kosmoceratops -Yes (pretty good, horns might need to be re-coloured) 8.8/10
Torosaurus- Yes, perhaps the best mass-market Torosaurus (not perfect, mouth is a bit elongated) 8/10
Alamosaurus- I'm not a fan, but most members here like it 7.7/10
Ampelosaurus- Very good, almost exactly the same as the paleontologist's illustration 9/10
Achelousaurus- Kind of bad 6.5/10
Deinocherius Deluxe- Excellent 10/10
Therizinosaurus - Excellent 9.5/10

Mojo Fun Velociraptor standing- This figure is a tad bit garish 4/10 for effort

Bullyland Therizinosaurus- Perhaps, Bullyland's greatest model despite the inaccuracies 8/10

The Papo Dimetrodon is a 10/10

Splonkadumpocus

I'm mostly limiting myself to collecting only genera I do not have yet. I do occasionally add new figures of previous genera if the ones I had before were inaccurate though.

sauroid

i get everything i can get my hands on
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

dinohunter24

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 25, 2013, 05:44:42 AM
Quote from: dinohunter24 on August 25, 2013, 05:13:09 AM

CollectA

Nothronychus
Kosmoceratops
Torosaurus
Alamosaurus
Ampelosaurus
Achelousaurus
Deinocherius Deluxe
Therizinosaurus

I have included my ratings below

CollectA

Nothronychus- This figure looks very strange to me, but then again it happens to be an iconic CollectA figure ?/10
Kosmoceratops -Yes (pretty good, horns might need to be re-coloured) 8.8/10
Torosaurus- Yes, perhaps the best mass-market Torosaurus (not perfect, mouth is a bit elongated) 8/10
Alamosaurus- I'm not a fan, but most members here like it 7.7/10
Ampelosaurus- Very good, almost exactly the same as the paleontologist's illustration 9/10
Achelousaurus- Kind of bad 6.5/10
Deinocherius Deluxe- Excellent 10/10
Therizinosaurus - Excellent 9.5/10

Mojo Fun Velociraptor standing- This figure is a tad bit garish 4/10 for effort

Bullyland Therizinosaurus- Perhaps, Bullyland's greatest model despite the inaccuracies 8/10

The Papo Dimetrodon is a 10/10

I forgot to mention I also bought a CollectA Pachyrhinosaurus.  I already have the Papo Pachyrhinosaurus so it not too bad.  I know i look cartoonish and cute but from the picture it look good. 

6.5 seem pretty low, could explain the low price.  I'll let you know my rating once I get the item, see if we have similar taste. 

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.