You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd. Smithsonian Giant Centipede

Started by therizinosaurus, August 01, 2013, 07:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

therizinosaurus

Just typed this post up for the STS forum, figured I'd share here as well

I recently came across the Smithsonian line of insects by Safari Ltd. in the late 1990s. I had very little recollection of the line at first, until I found a picture of the giant centipede--at $19.95, it was apparently the largest and most expensive figure in the line.
I had a vague memory of owning a giant centipede figure when I was younger--I showed the picture to my parents, and instantly they both remembered buying it for me at a museum when I was about 5 years old. I quickly raced to the garage, where I happened to have a large plastic bin marked "bugs", and as soon as I opened it I was greeted by this beauty :) I have quite a few figures in my collection (probably somewhere in the 1100+ range), and this is instantly my all-time favorite. I am so thrilled that I held on to this figure for the past 15 years, as it appears to be very rare today. So without further ado, I present you the Safari Ltd. Smithsonian Giant Centipede:

A head-on view.

A closeup of the head.

Another view of the head.

Left side.

Right side.

Top.

Bottom.

Back.

Text on the bottom. It's a shame I don't still have the tag for this figure.

And one last shot to show you how massive this figure is--that's a Collecta 1/40 scale man.

Hope you guys enjoy these pictures! :)

Charles

David Phantomhive

Gwangi

Beautiful model and great story about how you found it. I remember having a large praying-mantis but I don't know if it was from that same line you mentioned.

Jetoar

Wonderful figure. I would like that Safari release again this figure  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Hynerpeton

I never got to get one. :( maybe it will come back.. :)
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.