News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Questions for kit collectors

Started by Newt, February 10, 2014, 07:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newt

Hey folks, I'm learning to sculpt and thinking ahead to possibly offering some paleo kits (it'll be a long ways down the road, but it can't hurt to think ahead).  So, I have a few questions for those who buy kits.

1. Scale preferences

If I were to produce a set of kits, would you prefer they all be in the same scale, or that they be close to one another in size (and price) regardless of scale? 

1.a.  If you would prefer them all to be in the same scale, which scale (for large dinosaurs)?  1:40 appeals to me as a sculptor, but I don't know if that's the most popular with collectors.

1.b.  If you would prefer them all to be the same size, what size (approximately)?

2.  Would you prefer a broad assortment of dinosaurs, or a set of dinosaurs from the same era/region (for example, a set of Morrison Formation dinos)?  Or perhaps some other theme (a set of, say, super-sized sauropods)?

3.  Would you prefer (and be willing to pay more for) a large, elaborate base, with vegetation and other decor, or a simple base that you can customize yourself?

4.  Are there any particular groups of extinct organisms that are under-represented in kit form?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Newt

tyrantqueen

1a. I would like to see a variety of scale. You can't please everyone, unfortunately, but it's nice to mix things up a bit. I think it's a good idea to choose a bigger scale for models that would be impractical to sculpt in 1/40 (for example, pterodaustro)

2. Probably just a broad assortment. You have more flexibility that way, to sculpt whatever takes your fancy.

3. I would love customisable bases. I think this is something that needs to be exploited more in this hobby :)

4. Early Triassic dinosaurs and Permian tetrapods. Also, Tiktaalik :D

Newt

Thanks!

I just thought of another question:

Is there any interest in scale paleo-vegetation?  I have some thoughts on how to create reproducible foliage (trunks, of course, are the easy part).  I'll have to do some experimenting to see how well it works and how cost-effective it would be.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Newt on February 10, 2014, 08:34:29 PM
Thanks!

I just thought of another question:

Is there any interest in scale paleo-vegetation?  I have some thoughts on how to create reproducible foliage (trunks, of course, are the easy part).  I'll have to do some experimenting to see how well it works and how cost-effective it would be.
Yes, definitely :)

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 10, 2014, 08:21:35 PM
1a. I would like to see a variety of scale. You can't please everyone, unfortunately, but it's nice to mix things up a bit. I think it's a good idea to choose a bigger scale for models that would be impratical to sculpt in 1/40 (for example, pterodaustro)

2. Probably just a broad assortment. You have more flexibility that way, to sculpt whatever takes your fancy.

3. I would love customisable bases. I think this is something that needs to be exploited more in this hobby :)

4. Early triassic dinosaurs and permian tetrapods. Also, Tiktaalik :D
What she said.  ;D
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Newt

Paleogene Pals

Some critters from the Pennsylvanian coal forest would be cool.  For me, I collect in 1:20 scale so I would only be interested if something was in that scale.  Pennsylvanian vegetation would be interesting too.

Newt

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.