You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

How did stegosaurus or other armoured dinosaurs reproduce?

Started by SpittersForEver, June 03, 2014, 08:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpittersForEver

I want a serious answer please and nothing rude or inappropriate please.

CityRaptor

Carefully.

That is actually a good question. According to this article on the Smithonian site:
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-dinosaur-sex-173015/?page=2

QuoteFiguring out how Stegosaurus even could have mated is a prickly subject. Females were just as well-armored as males, and it is unlikely that males mounted the females from the back. A different technique was necessary. Perhaps they angled so that they faced belly to belly, some have guessed, or maybe, as suggested by Timothy Isles in a recent paper, males faced away from standing females and backed up (a rather tricky maneuver!). The simplest technique yet proposed is that the female lay down on her side and the male approached standing up, thereby avoiding all those plates and spikes. However the Stegosaurus pair accomplished the feat, though, it was most likely brief—only as long as was needed for the exchange of genetic material. All that energy and effort, from growing ornaments to impressing a prospective mate, just for a few fleeting moments to continue the life of the species.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DinoToyForum

It is very difficult to know how such horny animals mated.  :P

Paleogene Pals

I guess we will never truly know how they accomplished this feat. However, it doesn't matter if we know how they did it as long as they knew how!  ;D

amargasaurus cazaui

The most likely answer is they reproduced however they wanted to....I am sure of that.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Gwangi

SpittersForEver

SpittersForEver

Newt

It depends a lot on their "equipment", which we know nothing about.  If male stegosaurs were sufficiently endowed, they could go at it side-by-side, like some live-bearing fishes.  If they relied on a "cloacal kiss", things would get more complicated.

Roselaar

Quote from: Gwangi on June 03, 2014, 08:34:10 PM
This makes the most sense to me.

But how about Ankylosaurs? Considering their heavy armour I don't see the female just rolling over like that...  :P

Gwangi

Without those plates getting in the way I image ankylosaurs could just go about it in the typical fashion.

Roselaar

Quote from: Gwangi on June 12, 2014, 07:52:44 PM
Without those plates getting in the way I image ankylosaurs could just go about it in the typical fashion.

Ankylosaurus proper maybe, but what of its execessively spiked relatives? I can imagine there's quite a bit of armament getting in the way in the act of love in their case. Not to mention their weight.

alexeratops

like a bantha!

Gwangi

Quote from: Roselaar on June 12, 2014, 09:28:36 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on June 12, 2014, 07:52:44 PM

Ankylosaurus proper maybe, but what of its execessively spiked relatives? I can imagine there's quite a bit of armament getting in the way in the act of love in their case. Not to mention their weight.

I guess like turtles today they were probably pretty well endowed so they wouldn't have to get too close. Should be a question for Ken Carpenter. He is an ankylosaur expert and did write "Eggs, Nests and Baby Dinosaurs". However they did it, it must have worked.

Porcupines figured it out alright.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYbJH6GZndQ

Roselaar

Huh, I suppose that could work. Still, a type of special mating appendage would have come in handy. Though that can be said for most dinosaurs.

docronnie

Quote from: Gwangi on June 03, 2014, 08:34:10 PM
This makes the most sense to me.

Read the article.  It seems they suggest this.  Thanks for sharing!  :)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.