You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Advice needed! What pterosaurs to use for Papo Apatosaurus?

Started by Sarapaurolophus, January 30, 2020, 02:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarapaurolophus

I recently aquired the Papo Apatosaurus for a little custom/diorama project. Its color and relatively small size made me dream up a diorama based on the heartbreaking cherry scene from The Land Before Time.

Here is a quick refresher on what that scene was like!

The baby "flyers" are fighting for a cherry, then later offering Littlefoot the cherry but he is too sad to eat.
In my version the Apatosaurus is obviously interacting more with the pterosaurs based on the model bending its neck and opening its mouth. I want them to fly around him, maybe one or two are sitting on his back.

Now here are my two questions regarding my idea: what kind of species of small pterosaur could be used to stand in for the flyers? I want them to fit in with the Apato, time period and size-wise. Are there any pre-produced models I could use or would it be cheaper to craft them all myself?

Thankful for your input!

CityRaptor

Since I don't think any Morrison Pterosaurs have been made into toys, you would have to look for other Jurassic ones. And of course they would have to be small sized, therefore toob sized and similar.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DinoToyForum

There are only three valid pterosaur genera known from the Morrison Formation, all poorly known:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpactognathus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepodactylus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesadactylus
But, you could depict one of these pterosaurs based on a closely related and better known species.

Justin_

I don't think you'll find anything small enough unless it is some accessory from an expensive resin kit. Maybe try Shapeways but something the size you need is probably too small for 3D printing. I reckon it would be best to make them yourself.

For pterosaurs this small the superglue on paper technique might be helpful. Print silhouettes on paper then apply a thin layer of superglue each side. You then have a stronger sheet material that is easier to cut and paint.

stargatedalek

Kepodactylus was decently large, the Safari good luck mini "pterosaur" might be a good size, I'm not actually sure quite what scale the Apatosaurus is.

Blade-of-the-Moon

since your shooting for a juvenile Apatosaur, I would just do as others have suggested and try the Safari GL mini. I think it's the best you will get.

Sarapaurolophus

Thanks for all the good suggestions!

I have now settled for Kepodactylus for the species and looked into Safari toob figs and minis. I would go for the Good Luck minis but they are all very flat. Size-wise they'd be great!

I think I'll have to do a lot of repositioning but they seem to be the best base.

Sarapaurolophus

That baby Pteranodon would have been perfect but sadly it's too big for the Apato. I am not trying to do perfect scaling, that would be impossible for me. But I want them to be as small as possible. I already settled for the GL Minis also found on that website. Thanks for the link! I might pick up the baby along with them and put a cherry in its mouth as a standalone piece for my friend ;D

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.