You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Actual places for dino fans

Started by Metallisuchus, April 27, 2012, 04:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metallisuchus

Whenever I'm traveling, I like to find any locations (shops, museums, etc.) that are related to my interests. With that said, being a paleo-geek, I'd like to know of some places you have all been to that maybe feature some dinosaur-related attractions, or that sell a variety of replicas, etc.

Here's one that I think most of you probably won't know about...

Dinosaur Land, Virginia (a big outdoor 'yard' with life-size statues, and a really good gift shop - which is where I REALLY began my collecting)

The others are fairly obvious (JP Ride @ Universal, various museums, etc.). I will add though, that The Academy Of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia, PA has a gift shop with a fairly large selection of Carnegie/Safari replicas.

http://www.dinosaurland.com/

Takama

Dinosaur ridge in Colorado.  Basically part of the morrison formation. and there gift shop is alsome

ITewan

In my Area there is:

The Caneberra Dinosaur Museum

And the Australian Natural History Museum
im a lil tired and a lil hungry

Weaver

Also in Colorado, the Rocky Mountain Dinosaur Resource Center (have some great marine-reptiles as their focus) in Woodland Park. Plus there is the Denver Museum of Nature & Science in Denver.

As a former Illinoisian I'd like to recommend the Burpee Museum of Natural Science (that's where Jane is displayed!) in Rockford, Illinois. Of course I will always recommend the Field Museum of Natural History: It's fantastic and just... incredible. <3

Metallisuchus

Looks like I have a lot of traveling to do.

There's a Natural History Museum in Las Vegas as well. It's funny, but that was one of the things I was most excited about - that and Mexican food. The museum was more about animatronic dinosaurs moreso than fossils. Small place, but worth the trip if you're out there.

I was also lucky enough to catch Don Lessem's collection via his "Giant Mysterious Dinosaurs" exhibit @ The Franklin Institute. First time I've ever seen anything dino-related at that place, as it usually focuses more on the technological side of science.

And I know Florida has some dino-statue park like the Virginia one I mentioned previously.

ZoPteryx

Theres a park in Oregon (I think it's near Portland) with lots retro life-sized dinos, name escapes me.  Has a gift shop too! :))

The Museum of Ancient Life at Thanksgiving Point, Utah, is excellent.  Not far from Salt Lake City either.

The Museum of the Rockies in Boseman, Montana is really cool.  Lots of real fossils on display.

The San Diego Natural History Museum in California is worth a visit if your in town.  It's in a nice area too.

And finally, there's a museum either in southern Utah or Nevada that's built around an early Jurassic trackway.  Lots of dino, croc, and other tracks to look at, most in there natural positions.  Home to the famous "sitting dinosaur" trace fossil.
Edit: it's the St. George Dinosaur Discovery Site at Johnson Farm, southwest Utah

Metallisuchus

The Thanksgiving Point one is the one I want to visit most of all, actually.

Oh I almost forgot, I have been to The La Brea Tar Pits, but had to leave to catch my plane, thus missing out on the museum there.

Weaver

I'd like to see the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles as well. They have a fantastic new Dinosaur Hall up recently. My mother has been to the Black Hills Institute in Hill City, SD and of course they have Stan there. ;)

Thagirion

I've never been there and I really should go one day, but there's Dinosaur World in Plant City Florida. And outdoor  exhibit with life sized statues.  The ones I've seen from the interestate looked ok. I'm sure some are more accurate than others. But they may have cool stuff in the gift shop I should definitely go check out.
Creation. Is an act of sheer WILL - John Hammond
*Thag's Journal * Thag's Flickr * Thag's Youtube *

Metallisuchus

Yeah I'm actually happier with the gift shop when it comes to these types of places. That and ya know, if they serve food. I want my Rex Fries & Carnegie Collection replicas!

meoraptor

I agree with Weaver on the museums in Illinois. You could also visit the Dinosaur Discovery Museum in Kenosha, Wisconsin, the Milwaukee Public Museum in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, or Dinosaur Gardens in Ossineke, Michigan.

Darko2300

The park in Oregon is Prehistoric Gardens. (www.prehistoricgardens.com) Theres also some older Robotic Dinamation dinosaurs in the Pacific Science Center by the Space Needle in Seattle, WA.

A great resource for fossil sites is the book: Cruisin' the Fossil Freeway (http://www.amazon.com/Cruisin-Fossil-Freeway-Scientist-Ultimate/dp/1555914519/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335746283&sr=8-1), which covers most of the Western and Central United States. Fantastic Art by Ray Troll, too.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.