You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Art and Sketches by Alice Holt (Critique wanted!)

Started by Raptoress, August 11, 2014, 09:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raptoress

Hi all. My name is Alice Holt, I just turned 18 and I've been obsessed with dinosaurs ever since I was 4 years old. The first dinosaur I was introduced to was triceratops and I've been in love with them ever since. My dream is to be a palaeontologist/palaeoartist. I've been drawing dinosaurs for about a year and a half now, so I've got a long way to go before I react perfection. (I have been drawing extant animals for years now, though). Today's drawing I'd like to show everyone, is a sketch of a velociraptor I made yesterday. It's not very flashy or vibrant, just a sketch trying to represent an animal. But I would appreciate some constructive criticism on it, tips or suggestions. Feel free to also suggest any other dinosaur/prehistoric reptile species for me to attempt at drawing next. :)

Thank you and have a good day!

Patrx

Hi! Nice work on the Velociraptor, the textures and details are quite good. I also like the pattern on the face. As far as suggestions go, it might be worth your while to take a look at these diagrams regarding drawing dinosaur wings. The main issue from what I can spot is that the digits of the hand would basically be invisible, hidden by the wing feathers. Additionally, a deinonychosaur like Velociraptor probably had short feathers covering nearly all of its face, leaving just the end of the snout. More useful resources would be skeletal diagrams like those by Scott Hartman, which can help a lot with proportions.

Tyrannax

Your work is very clean! I notice myself eyeing the smooth feathers on the end of it's tail.  ;) Now that you've drawn velociraptor in profile, try adding a bit of depth by facing some of the animal's features towards (or away) from the viewer. In a new drawing of course.

Love the straight tail as well. Keep it up!

Member since 2008

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.