You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D Concept Art vs Final Design.

Started by goodlife18, January 03, 2015, 04:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodlife18

Just found this website that shows the Concept Art and Final Design of the dinosaurs in Walking with Dinosaurs 3D. What do you guys think? Which do you prefer? The concept art or final design? (click on the images for a larger size).

The Pachyrhinosaurus seems to have the greatest difference between the concept art and final design. I actually quite like the concept art of Pachyrhinosaurus.  I also quite like the Edmontonia.

http://weareliquidair.wordpress.com/walking-with-dinosaurs-3d-as-concept-artist-3d-and-2d/

DinoLord

I agree with you on the Pachyrhinosaurus. For the rest the minor differences don't really change the aesthetic in my eyes.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Interesting. Most differences can attributed to either a cleaner design ( less rough looking) or making them more character-like.

I do like the Edmontosaurus..I hope to build one of those at some point. Just need some more info on and references on it. ;)

Arul

Manatee

Really? "Pterosaurus"?  >:(
I agree with you in that the original Pachy looked better. I also like the concept Gorgosaurus and Chirostenotes more.

goodlife18

The original design looks like those 'archetypal' illustrations of Pachyrhinosaurus, It does look more 'real'. (People might disagree with me though)

I suppose like what Blade of the Moon said, the new design was meant to make Patchi look more "character like", and probably for audiences, particularly children to be able to identify him. 

If you look a the final design, Pachyrhinosaurus has the look of a spirited, valiant young hero, although it also made him a bit more 'cartoonish' in comparison to most of the other Pachyrhinosaurus in the herd.

The original design seems to have a more docile look.

Lusotitan

For the most part these seem to be for the better, with the exception of maybe the Troodon and definitely the Hesperonychus.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.