You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Problems with the vanish of my Papo Spinosaurus

Started by Mr. Challenger, August 12, 2014, 12:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Challenger

Hi everyone!
I have problems with the glossy vanish of my Papo Spinosaurus, it´s a great figure but the heat turned it sticky and slippery  :(

Anyone else have the same problem? I know that some of the others paposaur has the same type of vanish...
How can I fix it? Is there a method to clean or remove the vanish without damage the paint? I can repainted if it´s necessary but I don´t want to damage the figure. 

Thaks!

Mr. Challenger

DinoToyForum

I've never heard of this problem before and don't know if there is a solution  :-\

stargatedalek

you could try washing it if its softened enough, or if its still intact placing it in a freezer might help harden it again

I wouldn't recommend using any sort of chemical removers if you hope to preserve the paint, just soap and water

tyrantqueen

QuoteI wouldn't recommend using any sort of chemical removers if you hope to preserve the paint, just soap and water
It's actually very difficult to remove the factory paint using chemical removers (at least plastic safe ones). I speak from experience. I've used all sorts of household cleaners and solutions on my figures and the factory paint hasn't budged, nor has it damaged them. I think I've actually caused more damage to paintwork by dropping them than anything I've else I've soaked the toy in.

I'd use a industrial degreaser- one that is safe for plastics. I don't think that will damage the paint. Degreasers are good for getting rid of dirt and grime, that's what they're designed for.

The brand I use is Surfex HD by Bilt Hamber. It's pretty much safe for nearly all domestic surfaces (I've used it on plastic and metals, with no damage at all) but it's also very powerful. The only caveat is having to wear gloves because it can cause skin irritation.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.