News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recommended toys?

Started by Appalachiosaurus, September 14, 2014, 06:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Appalachiosaurus

Hello, I am new here and I am looking for a dinosaur toy! I am looking for realism, a reasonable price, and a good display value(I don't think I will actually play with it). Any recommendations from you guys?  ^-^

stargatedalek

what size range do you prefer?

Manatee

I personally recommend the Papo and Wild Safari lines; they are the most detailed and Wild Safari is hard to beat in terms of accuracy.

Roselaar

Define realism. Life like, or scientifically accurate? Preferably both no doubt, but you don't often find both. Papo's figures are often considered realistic in the former sense of the word, while accuracy is more along the lines of recent Safari and Collecta figures, and various Japanese lines that are not as easy to come by.

DinoLord

Also consider the new Terra by Battat line. The models are pretty well-detailed, very accurate, and are overall aesthetically pleasing. You can pick them up for $8 at your local Target.

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 14, 2014, 11:08:27 AM
what size range do you prefer?

I would like to keep it small, no CollectA deluxe. I would prefer around the Papo Dilophosaurus in size.

Quote from: Roselaar on September 14, 2014, 01:40:04 PM
Define realism. Life like, or scientifically accurate? Preferably both no doubt, but you don't often find both. Papo's figures are often considered realistic in the former sense of the word, while accuracy is more along the lines of recent Safari and Collecta figures, and various Japanese lines that are not as easy to come by.

Scientifically accurate, although if there is both I will gladly take it!

Quote from: DinoLord on September 14, 2014, 02:17:20 PM
Also consider the new Terra by Battat line. The models are pretty well-detailed, very accurate, and are overall aesthetically pleasing. You can pick them up for $8 at your local Target.

A specific one you would recommend?

DinoLord

The Cryolophosaurus is my favorite of the Terra line.

If you want small stuff there's the Kaiyodo Dinotales line. Each figure is 2-3 inches.

Roselaar

The Kaiyodos come indeed highly recommended, though they're not the easiest to find. Favorite's Softmodels are also a good choice, though they suffer from a similar issue.

Avoid: Schleich.

DinoLord

Quote from: Roselaar on September 14, 2014, 03:59:11 PMAvoid: Schleich.

^Very good advice right here. Not only are their models overpriced and painful to look at, but they have some rather unscrupulous marketing practices that hurt companies that actually do produce decent figures.

stargatedalek

Kaiyodo and Colorata are good candidates for small display figures, but you will have to keep shipping in mind

favorite co soft models are a bit on the large size compared to the Papo dilo, about that size but just a bit larger

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on September 14, 2014, 03:59:11 PM
The Kaiyodos come indeed highly recommended, though they're not the easiest to find. Favorite's Softmodels are also a good choice, though they suffer from a similar issue.

Avoid: Schleich.

Agreed. Go with Japanese whenever you can!

Schleich is terrible. Which is sad, because they should be the standard.

Most likely, you will want to pick and choose--Mojo makes great mammals; CollectA has really come into its own in the last few years; most of Safari is amazing (and their toobs offer some excellent small figures).

stargatedalek

the Schleich modern animals normally aren't half bad, which only serves to make their dinosaurs that much more enraging

Safari vary greatly in size

tanystropheus

Some of the recent Papo figures are both realistic and accurate (e.g. Dimetrodon, Dilophosaurus, Carnotaurus, Styracosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus, baby Trike, baby T-rex...and Archaeopteryx to a lesser degree)

The Papo Running T-rex and Brachiosaurus are worth getting but not altogether accurate.

Arul

In my opinion,cheap+detail+displayable = tamiya dinosaur model kit...but if you seeking for some real pleasure,sideshow...

stargatedalek

the baby Papo tyrannosaurus is not very accurate either, a young tyrannosaurus should be more lithe than the adults, not bulkier
but thats getting off topic

with lines like Wild Safari and Carnegie they vary so much in size that theres bound to be some in the size range you're looking for

tyrantqueen

Safari, CollectA, Battat, and Favorite are all good choices.

Papo has great sculpting detail, but nearly every one (if not all) of their sculpts have anatomical flaws.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.