News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Heya :)

Started by TJ_Terrorsaur, October 21, 2014, 08:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ_Terrorsaur

Hi, everyone!
I'm or more so I go by TJ, as for the Terrorsaur part that is a great example on how bad I suck at making user names. I came across this site about 3 days ago whilst I was looking for a way to repair sticky rubber figures. My Jurassic Park: Chaos Effect Ankyloranodon's wings are horribly sticky and I've tried washing them with hot to cold water, even scrubbing them with a toothbrush (new). Yet to no avail they've stayed sticky. I have him in a heft ziplock bag right now with twist ties on his wings to reshape them.
Anyhow I also came here to chat it up with other collectors and dinosaur enthusiasts. :D I've loved dinosaurs since before I could walk much less say their names. I saw The Land Before Time and Jurassic Park and from their my dinosaur interests turned into an obsession. When I was younger I had a huge tote full to the brim with dinosaur toys from nearly every maker. Now those are gone and I'm struggling to reclaim my collection and add dinosaurs to it I couldn't obtain as a youngster. I've had a few obsessions (predator & alien, Transformers, Dragonball, and Mass Effect) come and go but I've always returned to dinosaurs. I'll come across something then rattle on about that dinosaur or why that something reminded me of said dino. Anyhow that's all I can really think of to say. If any of you have any questions please ask. ^_^

Pinkamena

Hello :) I'm a noob here too. On vintage vinyl toys stickiness can be caused by the plasticizer leaking out. It will stay sticky until all the plasticizer is out but you can keep on top of it with normal baby wipes, or dusting with talc then washing off. I have no idea if this is what is happening without knowing the material, but it may be worth a try.
Slowly running out of room...one toy at a time!

Invicta Wishlist (monochrome) - Plesiosaur, Mamenchisaurus, Dimetrodon, Muttaburrasaurus, Ichthyosaurm, Blue Whale 

TJ_Terrorsaur

Hurray lets be newbies together! :D As far as I know it's a soft rubber pliable but not so where it flops about like a noodle. I'll try the baby powder. I got this guy used and when he arrived he was in great shape minus the sticky wings. He is the only one out of the lot I've had trouble with. The others were no longer sticky after a good wash. I'll try the baby powder though. ^_^ Thanks!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Pinkamena on October 21, 2014, 08:34:51 PM
Hello :) I'm a noob here too. On vintage vinyl toys stickiness can be caused by the plasticizer leaking out. It will stay sticky until all the plasticizer is out but you can keep on top of it with normal baby wipes, or dusting with talc then washing off. I have no idea if this is what is happening without knowing the material, but it may be worth a try.
Baby wipes are actually surprisingly useful for a number of things. I use them for dusting down my collection :)

TJ_Terrorsaur, welcome to the forum. The sticky figure issue has been brought up a number of times, here http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=860.msg22819#msg22819 and here http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2497.msg66884#msg66884 so you might want to consult those threads to see what other members have to say :)

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 21, 2014, 08:46:56 PM
Quote from: Pinkamena on October 21, 2014, 08:34:51 PM
Baby wipes are actually surprisingly useful for a number of things. I use them for dusting down my collection :)

TJ_Terrorsaur, welcome to the forum. The sticky figure issue has been brought up a number of times, here http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=860.msg22819#msg22819 and here http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2497.msg66884#msg66884 so you might want to consult those threads to see what other members have to say :)

^_^ Thank you. I'll have to start using baby wipes from now on. I use a Swiffer Duster then I use Clorox wipes on them, but using baby wipes seems like it would be much gentler on the figures. Especially on my Jurassic Park guys.
Thanks for the links, funny thing is those are the exact ones that lead me to this wonderful site. ^_^

DinoToyForum

Welcome to the dinotoyforum TJ  :D

Yutyrannus

Welcome to the forum :)!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Arul

Welcome and have a nice day  :))

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: Yutyrannus on October 21, 2014, 11:31:57 PM
Thank you. ^_^

Quote from: Yutyrannus on October 21, 2014, 11:31:57 PM
^_^ Thank you.

Quote from: ARUL on October 21, 2014, 11:36:33 PM
Welcome and have a nice day  :))
Thank you and I shall try. :)

Pinkamena

Quote from: TJ_Terrorsaur on October 21, 2014, 08:44:15 PM
Hurray lets be newbies together! :D As far as I know it's a soft rubber pliable but not so where it flops about like a noodle. I'll try the baby powder. I got this guy used and when he arrived he was in great shape minus the sticky wings. He is the only one out of the lot I've had trouble with. The others were no longer sticky after a good wash. I'll try the baby powder though. ^_^ Thanks!

:D Let us know how you get on! :)
Slowly running out of room...one toy at a time!

Invicta Wishlist (monochrome) - Plesiosaur, Mamenchisaurus, Dimetrodon, Muttaburrasaurus, Ichthyosaurm, Blue Whale 

docronnie

Welcome and enjoy your stay here! :D
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: Pinkamena on October 22, 2014, 01:03:35 AM
:D Let us know how you get on! :)

Oh I will I promise. Right now though I'm doing my best to reshape his wings. After that I'll try using baby powder, and then go down the line from there. :)

Quote from: docronnie on October 22, 2014, 01:17:50 PM
Welcome and enjoy your stay here! :D
Thank you! ^_^ I'm sure I will.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.