News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA Question.

Started by TJ_Terrorsaur, October 27, 2014, 02:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ_Terrorsaur

I do apologize if this is in the wrong board.
I have a question about the collectA dinosaurs. Are they being remade by the company or at least some of them? I've seen a few that look really spectacular and then I've come across some that look like they're quite 'oddly' painted and retro-ish looking.
Many thanks in advance for answering a newbie's questions. I'm too used to Jurassic Park dinosaurs collectA is a new world for me.

DinoLord

Back in its early years (when the company was called Procon) their figures were mostly rather horrendous looking. However the quality has gone up significantly in recent years. It's likely the retro-ish ones you're referring to are some of the first figures they put out.

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: DinoLord on October 27, 2014, 03:25:32 AM
Back in its early years (when the company was called Procon) their figures were mostly rather horrendous looking. However the quality has gone up significantly in recent years. It's likely the retro-ish ones you're referring to are some of the first figures they put out.

Many thanks for answering my question. ^_^
Oooh okay. How would I know what year they were made when I'm shopping on lets say Amazon or eBay?

DinoLord

I'd go by feel mainly - if it looks good it's most likely more recent. If the figure you're considering is reviewed on the blog, that could also help you determine the general release date and the overall accuracy/quality.

SBell

You can also look for model numbers--the original Triceratops is 88037, the mid-range Eustrptospondylus is 88060, the new Ichthyovenator is 88654. The numbers aren't linear through the just the dinosaurs, but it gives an idea of where they stand.

And no, I'm not listing them. But if you go here: http://www.collecta.biz/en/collections/prehistoric-life you can see all of them (not in release or alphabetical order) and find the numbers.

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: SBell on October 27, 2014, 12:52:53 PM
You can also look for model numbers--the original Triceratops is 88037, the mid-range Eustrptospondylus is 88060, the new Ichthyovenator is 88654. The numbers aren't linear through the just the dinosaurs, but it gives an idea of where they stand.

And no, I'm not listing them. But if you go here: http://www.collecta.biz/en/collections/prehistoric-life you can see all of them (not in release or alphabetical order) and find the numbers.

Many thanks. I'm sure this will come in handy!

Quote from: DinoLord on October 27, 2014, 03:54:03 AM
I'd go by feel mainly - if it looks good it's most likely more recent. If the figure you're considering is reviewed on the blog, that could also help you determine the general release date and the overall accuracy/quality.
Ah alrighty. ^_^ Many thanks. :) I'm sure any reviews I find will be most helpful.

stoneage

:)  The year for CollectA figures is shown here:  http://www.dejankins.com/collecta-standard/ and here:  http://www.dejankins.com/collecta-deluxe/  plus if you look around you can find the year for some other brands that are still available as well.

DC

For some years now Anthony Beeson, a well respected collector in the UK has been doing the design work first for Procon then as it evolved into CollectA.  The early work was before he became involved.  Initally there were start up pains with the design and production process, where what was designed was not exactly what was produced, but the company has matured past that.  Mojo the other half of old Procon kept some of the earlier designs.   If you check them out you may recognise them.  There is an opinion among some wholesalers and retailers that the retro look is a better seller among preschoolers, where the older look is common in childrens books, and older adults who grew up with Marx style figures.  While there is truth to this point of view it is becoming outdated as the general public is more literate with the dinosaur revolution reconstructions and the numerous CGI renderings in Film and on TV.     
You can never have too many dinosaurs

laticauda

I still don't think the general public is very literate with the current ideas on dinosaurs.  Most people, (at least in my corner of the USA) still think of them as a cross between slow reptiles and Jurassic Park.  As for kids, they like things that have long necks, interesting colors, sharp teeth, and spikes.  Scientific accuracy doesn't matter to them and to most parents, they just want what looks cool.

As for CollectA, the line is getting better every year.  The 2007-2012 range there is a lot more miss than hit.  There are a couple nice little gems from that time frame which are still available.  Since 2012, I think they have really gotten better.

suspsy

Collecta's become one of my top three favourite companies along with Carnegie and Papo. Their old products are indeed awful, but the last few years have produced some true gems. Dead Triceratops, fluke-tailed Mosasaurus, Therizinosaurus, Juvenile T. Rex, etc.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Everything_Dinosaur

I think DinoLord summed up the situation very nicely re Collecta.  We at Everything Dinosaur have been involved for many years with the company and we remember the first time we saw their first prehistoric animal figures.  They have certainly come along way since.  Expect to see some truly imaginative, well-designed and cleverly made models from Collecta next year. We will post up pictures on our social media sites shortly.

TJ_Terrorsaur

Wow thanks for all the information everyone. ^_^  I think I have all I need now to feel comfortable with browsing more of CollectA's stuff. I have the  Mosasaurus from them and so far that's all I own. I have others tucked away in wishlists. Anyhow I think I will go with what I like and if I'm iffy about it check the year on the toy. :)
I'm really excited to see what the release in 2015.
Thanks again everyone.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.