News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosauriana - The Compendium Disc

Started by sauroid, January 02, 2015, 01:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

does anyone in the DTF own a copy of Dinosauriana - The Compendium Disc? opinions? (i've been looking for a review...)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

I have it (albeit in digital format). It's very good, aside from a few grammar/spelling issues which bugged me. I was impressed by the scope, it covers some really obscure brands as well as the popular ones. The information about each company is quite interesting as well and there are lots of photos of course.

I'd say if you're interested in plastic dinosaur toys you should consider purchasing a copy.

Ikessauro

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 02, 2015, 05:19:48 PM
I have it (albeit in digital format). It's very good, aside from a few grammar/spelling issues which bugged me. I was impressed by the scope, it covers some really obscure brands as well as the popular ones. The information about each company is quite interesting as well and there are lots of photos of course.

I'd say if you're interested in plastic dinosaur toys you should consider purchasing a copy.

I too have it and agree with TQ. I just have to add something that might be just me nitpicking, but I got to say it. I was expecting to see decent resolution photographs of the models toys, at least of the most common ones. But even some of the cheapest toys don't have good images in the compendium disc I acquired.
I mean, if you are selling the stuff, please offer something good and new. I understand that some really rare models are impossible to photograph, but the most common ones should be well represented by good quality photos.

Instead what I saw was just lots of photos grabbed from the Internet, quite a few from forum members inclusive. Not sure if they gave permission for the commercial use of this pictures, but the compendium lacks a refinement in this aspect. While some shots are pretty good, others are terrible. I'm talking about AAA, Battats, Carnegie toys, figures that are not that hard to find and photograph.

Takes time I know, but if you are selling it, again, work to make something really good.

In my opinion the author should have made it like a catalog, each model individually illustrated and it's info right next to it.

To me it is useful in some ways, not as much as I expected, but anyway, I hope someday we will see an updated version perhaps. But if it happens, I'll not be buying it without reading a few reviews of course.

EDIT, my edition doesn't include Collecta apparently.

tyrantqueen

Blade-of-the-Moon

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Megalosaurus

I've heard of that "disc" before, but don't like that someone is making profit for information that should be free for every plastic dinosaur lover.

Let's do our own DinoToyForum Visual Catalog of Prehistoric Figures, and lets share it free.

I'm sure many members can provide the HD pictures of the obscure models.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Ikessauro

Quote from: Megalosaurus on January 02, 2015, 10:18:43 PM
I've heard of that "disc" before, but don't like that someone is making profit for information that should be free for every plastic dinosaur lover.

Let's do our own DinoToyForum Visual Catalog of Prehistoric Figures, and lets share it free.

That is a great ideia Megalosaurus

Ikessauro

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 02, 2015, 06:20:45 PM
Is it listed under Procon maybe?

Nope, I checked that. There are a few others missing if I'm not mistaken. My disc is red instead of blue, like the one on the link TQ posted.

CityRaptor

This is odd. I also have a red disc, but mine has the Collecta Info.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

sauroid

Quote from: Ikessauro on January 02, 2015, 10:20:32 PM
Quote from: Megalosaurus on January 02, 2015, 10:18:43 PM

That is a great ideia Megalosaurus
i totally agree. with the collective effort of the dedicated and knowledgable collectors here, we can even surpass the effort (hopefully). and provide all the infos for free for everyone to share. (STS is doing almost the same via the animal toy wiki)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

UK

Well Joe has just released a much revamped updated  and incredibly expanded downloadable version. It seems like an incredible amount of time and effort has been invested by Joe In creating his Magnus opus.

I thoroughly recommend this, its been invaluable to me in my search for Japanese rarities. Looks great on my iPad.

stoneage

Quote from: UK on August 14, 2015, 10:07:49 PM
Well Joe has just released a much revamped updated  and incredibly expanded downloadable version. It seems like an incredible amount of time and effort has been invested by Joe In creating his Magnus opus.

I thoroughly recommend this, its been invaluable to me in my search for Japanese rarities. Looks great on my iPad.

Do you have a link to it?

UK

docronnie

I recommend this compendium.  Helped me a lot!  :)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.