News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Alexxitator paintjobs

Started by Alexxitator, December 11, 2014, 07:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexxitator

I am currently doing a few projects, both painting and sculpting. Sometimes I am unsure what to post where exactly.
For now the ridiculously big Brachio and a dwarfed Rex. Both started today.
I'll try and keep you all updated on these and other works.

To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

CityRaptor

Is that the Horizon or the Tamiya Brachio?

Also the T.rex looks a lot like the Ice Age 3 one at this stage.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Alexxitator

It's the Horizon one.
Lol, the Ice age guy was NOT what I was aiming for rofl! I am doing a scheme based on a fox's colors.
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

CityRaptor

Oh, so the one that makes the Tamiya look small.

A Fox was actually my second thought.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

RockyMountainRex

Rawr!

Arul

Is that still in WIP ? Or its done already ? I like the trex, its look better  :D

croatasaurus

That's cool repaint but T-rex is so small to Brachiosaurus

Alexxitator

They are still works in progress. Am doing dayshifts at the moment and it's dark very early here now so no ideal painting conditions.
These two are by no means meant to form a diorama sizewise  ;)
-Charles Darwin-

pylraster

I'm curious how you approached the painting of that Schleich T.rex. Did you remove the old paint before repainting it? The default paint seems... flaky and fragile. I don't know if that's a Schleich problem or if it's specific to the rex's waxy plastic.

Good work with the new paint scheme though. I've been itching to repaint my Schleich rex, once more of the old paint is rubbed off.

Alexxitator

Oh, that is odd! I have several pieces of this model but no problems with the paint letting go.
I honestly admit though that this specific piece is not an original Schleich. I did not yet dare let my skills loose on my original pieces. Though I am learning and may soon do so.
There are some pieces with rather poor paintjobs. I am thinking of my Carnegie Concavenator or Cryolophosaurus. Both very pretty pieces but horrid painting.

If you are considering removing the paint from it, I believe I recall some info here http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=395.0
-Charles Darwin-

tyrantqueen

Quote from: pylraster on December 15, 2014, 07:37:18 PM
I'm curious how you approached the painting of that Schleich T.rex. Did you remove the old paint before repainting it? The default paint seems... flaky and fragile. I don't know if that's a Schleich problem or if it's specific to the rex's waxy plastic.

Good work with the new paint scheme though. I've been itching to repaint my Schleich rex, once more of the old paint is rubbed off.
I never had any problems with the paint when I had my Tyrannosaurus. Unless it's causing a problem with paint adhesion, I do not recommend attempting to remove the factory paint job. It's just creating extra work for yourself that's frankly unnecessary. Most times you can paint or prime right over the factory paint with no problems. That, and the factory paint job is incredibly difficult to remove.

pylraster

I see, thanks for clarifying. Concerning the paint, I understand that it's supposed to have wears (my 7 year old brother plays with it a lot). With most toys, the paint fades over time. However with the Schleich rex, the paint seems to have indeed, weak adhesion to the plastic that you can pull off a strip of paint once the edges pop out. You know, like dried correction fluid... ^_^ 

I don't intend to remove all of the paint, because I know I won't be able to. Just enough to ensure that the details don't get covered up when repainting. The flaked off paint seems removable with a toothbrush, and denatured alcohol (if it's acrylic). I wonder though if the peeling could have been prevented with a matte topcoat.

What brand is that copy of the Schleich T.rex? ^_^ it looks decent enough, I'm interested in getting one for repainting. :D

Alexxitator

Well the big difference between your and my toys is that mine are usually simply standing behind glass. So not much chance of damaging.
The imitation T-rex can be found on Alibaba.com. Ethical issues aside it for me is a means of achieving better painting skills without having to paint ugly chinasaurs.
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2679.0 for a story on that.
-Charles Darwin-

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.