News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Speculative Therapsid Project

Started by Yutyrannus, March 13, 2014, 12:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

I already have quite a few projects going but this idea was too cool to resist. It is a project like The Speculative Dinosaur Project, only about a world where the P-Tr extinction never happened and therapsids dominate. Anyone who wants to can contribute to this project. Anyone can pick any of the likely groups (including trilobites) to focus on. So far I'll deal with the gorgonopsids and therocephalians but anything else is great. I would really like to see this project become as extensive as the Spec project someday.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Balaur

This sounds really cool! I'll do dicynodonts and dinocephalias. :)

Yutyrannus

Sounds great :)!
Also, I opened a deviantART group for it C:-): http://surviving-therapsids.deviantart.com/

Yutyrannus

I'm currently drawing my first picture: a head profile of a lion-sized scavenging gorgonopsid ;). He's pretty cool so far.

Yutyrannus

Balaur

I especially like the ear tufts. Is he a modern Gorgonopsid?

Yutyrannus

Thanks! And yes he is a modern gorgonopsid species, though I will also eventually post some ice age gorgons :). So how are those marine dicynodonts coming?

Balaur

I am drawing one today. It's a relative of Lystrosaurus, but quite bizarre.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Balaur on March 30, 2014, 10:42:26 PM
I am drawing one today. It's a relative of Lystrosaurus, but quite bizarre.
Sounds cool :)!

Libraraptor

Interesting idea, I will follow your work. Reminds me of the Safari Inostrancevia that´s still on my acquisitions - list...

Yutyrannus

Balaur

Here is my first entry.

248 million years ago, Lystrosaurus began to diversify across the world. One group took advantage of the water and adapted features, such as long necks and smaller hind limbs, and longer tails. The one above is an unnamed Jurassic lystrosaur. Unlike previous dicynodonts, they are omnivorous, feeding on fish and small sharks, and also hunt squid by sucking them into their mouths, and also feed on algae and seaweed. By the Cenozoic, they began to decrease in diversity. At one point in the Eocene, only one species (pictured below) existed. However, by the Miocene they began to diversify again. At the beginning of the Ice Age 2.5 million years ago, they began to diversify, and now they are in moderate diversity in the modern day.

Yutyrannus

Yay! Very cool! Also, don't forget to put it on the deviantart group in featured and in dicynodonts. Evolution of the therocephalian skull by me coming soon, by the way.

Balaur

Thanks! How do I add it into the group?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Balaur on April 27, 2014, 05:02:34 AM
Thanks! How do I add it into the group?
Go to Gallery and click the +'s by the folders you are uploading the picture into then pick the picture you are uploading from your gallery.

Balaur

Just so people know this project is still on going and now we have a website and a Deviantart group. We've expanded a bunch since the last time you saw us!

http://the-speculative-therapsid-project.wikia.com/wiki/The_Speculative_Therapsid_Project_Wiki
http://surviving-therapsids.deviantart.com

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.