News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Can I harden oil based clay?

Started by cube5, May 03, 2012, 05:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cube5

Hi, currently I am using Roma Plasitilina clay. It's oil based, and is said to never harden.

Is there a way to harden it? Thank you.

paleoferroequine

Quote from: cube5 on May 03, 2012, 05:53:41 AM
Hi, currently I am using Roma Plasitilina clay. It's oil based, and is said to never harden.

Is there a way to harden it? Thank you.
Immerse it in liquid nitrogen. Leave it there. Don't touch it .
I'm sorry. :(  I'm no help am I? :o  It's late.
No, there's no way to harden it. Maybe you should try polymer clay which stays soft until you bake it in the oven. Or epoxy putty.

ZoPteryx

The best you can do is paint/spray on some type of varnish.  That'll keep it safe from fingerprints and smudges, but it'll still be soft at heart.

Himmapaan

I think you would need a dangerous quantity of varnish to try that method. And I don't know whether the materials are likely to react against one another.

I'm afraid your best route would really be to use an air-drying clay; or as Paleoferroequine suggested, a two-part, self-curing epoxy putty. If you work more slowly (as I do) and these materials may restrict your sculpting time, then a polymer clay is best. It only cures after being baked, so you can work on it as long as you wish.

cube5

Thank you everyone. I guess I will try polymer clay next time. Oh, wait, I don't have an oven....

paleoferroequine

Quote from: cube5 on May 04, 2012, 05:38:23 AM
Thank you everyone. I guess I will try polymer clay next time. Oh, wait, I don't have an oven....
Depending on the size of you project, a toaster oven will work. That's what I use. Pick one up cheap at a Goodwill or second hand shop or the classifieds in your local newspaper or your ISP probably has a for sale section on line.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.