News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Small 1:40 Figures

Started by Dinoguy2, February 28, 2015, 12:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoguy2

This may sound weird, but I kind of miss the days of really small prehistoric animal figures from Carnegie etc. When I was a kid, it was cool to be able to save up for the really big figures like the Carnegie Brachiosaurus, while collecting the smaller, much cheaper ones like Dimetrodon, Pteranodon, and Deinonychus. I know Collecta has been putting out some smaller diorama type figures lately, but is anybody else nostalgic for the days when there were huge size differences between figures in a line, rather than making them all about the same size and in various scales?
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

triceratops83

I agree completely. What I miss most about Carnegie is a set scale. What would be cool is to get a pack of smaller animals each year, along with the bigger figures. For example, next years' line up could read like this.
Carnegie 1:40 Apatosaurus
Carnegie 1:40 Stegosaurus
Carnegie 1:40 Multipack #1 - Ornitholestes, Hypsilophodon, Coelophysis, Rhamphorynchus.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 28, 2015, 01:10:50 PM
I agree completely. What I miss most about Carnegie is a set scale. What would be cool is to get a pack of smaller animals each year, along with the bigger figures. For example, next years' line up could read like this.
Carnegie 1:40 Apatosaurus
Carnegie 1:40 Stegosaurus
Carnegie 1:40 Multipack #1 - Ornitholestes, Hypsilophodon, Coelophysis, Rhamphorynchus.

Yeah, this seems like a missed opportunity to incorporate some small scale figures into those tubes instead of tiny versions of larger figures.

I also think some non-dino figures would be good at the small 1:40 scale. Theropods etc. tend to be very leggy with lots of long thin bits that wouldn't work well without a stand/diorama. But some synapsids, amphibians, etc. or larger pterosaurs would work. Anything with a compact build (also a lot of sea reptiles would work at that scale).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Roselaar

On a similar note, I'm also lamenting the lack of toob figure sets in Safari's line-up these past few years. especially since they did so well with the Sea Life, Crocodiles and Sharks toobs, those were grand! Maybe they just didn't sell too good... At least Papo os trying its hand on something similar lately. Though just not as good in terms of quality.

Safari/Carnegie just doesn't seem to be as keen on its past diversification today. But hey, at least the Safarisaurs look better than ever.

Sim

I like my prehistoric animal figures to be in the same scale.  It's really nice seeing their different sizes when they're next to each other, and it helps to show how big they are in general, compared to each other, and compared to me and other humans.  Even as a kid I liked the toys I played with to be at least roughly to scale with each other.  I've tried collecting figures in different scales, but I couldn't help feeling a bit frustrated about it.  Now, I'm only really interested in having figures in the same scale, I'm really happy Battat is producing its dinosaurs all in the same scale.

suspsy

Honestly, I prefer larger versions of small dinosaurs because it means the sculptor can do a better job on the detailing. Scale has never really been a major issue for me.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Takama

I never cared about the scale of a model. Mainly because most manufactures always get the scaling wrong to some degree.

Of course I am Commissioning Brandem to make Dinosaurs in 1:50 scale and 1:12 so I am learning more about how it works.

I think the detail of a model depends on the skill of the artist.  Brandem has made some Small Figures and they look really good.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.