News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Book recommendation not only for kids

Started by Lanthanotus, December 28, 2017, 05:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

When I was a kid there were not a great many dinosaur books, but when I grew to teenage age there were a whole lot.. and it seems there still are. However, most of them were and still are awefull or at best mediocore. Well, I am far out of the age for child books, but my son is not, so I was looking out for a nice dinosaur book with updated reconstructions, not a book were some reconstructions are good and up to date and others on the next page are like 30 years old. I sure look through the old books with my son like Spinar/Burian and such, but to my surprise I recently found the kind of book I was looking for. It looks like a generic dinosaur book from the outside and the authors are not named on the cover (Germans wouldn't know them anyway... Juan Carlos Alonso & Gregory S. Paul) but I was honestly surprised and immidiatly recognized the style.

The book comes with big letters and easy sentences, written for kids, but in a good style. However, the book does not cover the whole natural history of dinosaurs, but starts rather surprisingly and abruptly in the Upper Jurassic and covers this era and the Lower Cretaceous. That's it. Somewhat weird, because there's no introduction telling you why the book covers this times, but not the evolution or the demise of the (non avian) dinosaurs. That being said, the selection of dinosaurs the reader is introduced to is nice and sometimes rather obscure. There's 4 pages for each animal with short description and very nice and lifelike drawings. Also there's some non dinosaurs covered as some pterosaurs and mammals. Personally I find that nice, because I do not need another book with T. rex and Triceratops.

So here's some pictures... higly recommended.

ceratopsian

I think it's planned as part of a series.  In English there are two volumes available, the second being the Early Cretaceous.  I don't know if more are coming but I hope so!  Presumably whether more come depends on sales.

alexeratops

This book is one of my favorites, I have the Early Cretaceous issue and it is a very good and accurate representation of the creatures. Would recommend.
like a bantha!

CityRaptor

That would be the "Ancient Earth Journal" series. Well, at least two volumes of it.

The german title "Das große Buch der Dinosaurier" literally translates into "The big Book of Dinosaurs". It's a very generic title. Mind you, not as generic as just calling it "Dinosaurier", but there have been several books with that title.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

HD-man

Quote from: Lanthanotus on December 28, 2017, 05:35:22 PMThe book comes with big letters and easy sentences, written for kids, but in a good style. However, the book does not cover the whole natural history of dinosaurs, but starts rather surprisingly and abruptly in the Upper Jurassic and covers this era and the Lower Cretaceous. That's it.

I recommend Bakker's The Big Golden Book of Dinosaurs: Not only is this book the best children's natural history of dinos, but also the "totally updated edition" of "the classic book that most people old enough to be parents grew up on" ( https://paleoaerie.org/2013/11/26/its-big-its-golden-and-its-dinosaurs/ ). Thus, to paraphrase Earl Sinclair ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXiwXVrjYHc ), "this [book] works on two levels!"
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.