News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Suggestions for a piece

Started by crankydinosaur, April 30, 2012, 04:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crankydinosaur

So I have exhausted the internet and all of my paleo-books so now I come to you friends. I need suggestions for (Late) Miocene Oklahoma (and a bot of the surrounding areas are okay too)

so far I have

Mammalia:

Artiodactylia:

Synthetoceros
Megatylopus (Megacamelus?)
Procamelus
Protolabis
Hemiauchenia
Prosthennops

Perissodactyla:

Pliohippus
Merychippus
Aphelops (how tall and long was it?)
Some species of Tapir????

Then I got hypogalus and hespertestudo ???

Any other reptiles or birds (especially birds - crows? pigeons?)

Carnivores?

Thanks!

Weaver

I believe a few Cetotherium species (at least two called Virgina and Maryland home) as did a Diorocetus species as well. For the area those are the only two I can think of at the moment. :/

ZoPteryx

Reptiles: There probably would have been an alligator of some type present.  Rattlesnakes were starting to evolve at about that time too.  Pond turtles should also have been present.

Birds:  Most modern bird groups had evolved by the Miocene.  Crows, pigeons/doves, raptors, herons, and woodpeckers are all probably safe bets.

SBell

From some quick searches (looked up Late Miocene Oklahoma fossils--assuming you are going with Clarendonian NALMA) I found reference to frogs, gars, moles, shrews, hedgehogs, small bats, pikas, rabbit, squirrels, voles, beavers, jumping mice, weasels (Sthenictis), dogs (Aelurodon), coati (Paranasua), Tapir (Prosthenops), Merycoidodont (Ustatochoerus), small deer (Blastomeryx or Longirostromeryx), palaeomerycid/antilocaprid, horses (Callipus, Pliohippus, Pseudhipparion, Hipparion, Cormohipparion).
http://tamuk.academia.edu/JonBaskin/Papers/1205094/Fossil_mammals_from_a_late_Miocene_Clarendonian_site_in_Beaver_County_Oklahoma

And that's just one article!

And here's another abstract with a few more tidbits:
http://www.mendeley.com/research/wild-horse-creek-1-late-miocene-clarendonianhemphillian-vertebrate-fossil-assemblage-roger-mills-county-oklahoma/

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.