News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

1988 Carnegie Diplodocus: 2 versions

Started by indy1936, May 03, 2012, 03:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

indy1936

I was just looking through some of my original Safari Carnegie models and discovered 2 different sculpts of the original 1988 Diplodocus. This must reflect the re-sculpt in 1996.

The original is heavier, larger all around and is quite shiny. The 1996 model has a new head. There are different labels on the bottom too. The size difference is harder to notice in the photos but there is at least a 1/2 inch difference in height of the backs. Detailing is a bit sharper in the newer model. Take a look:

newer in the front:

newer on the right:

newer on the right:

newer on the right:

newer on the left:

old label:

new label:

Seijun

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Brontozaurus

I think the older Diplodocus is the better looking of the two-just look at the head on the newer version!
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

indy1936

Quote from: Brontozaurus on May 03, 2012, 11:50:06 AM
I think the older Diplodocus is the better looking of the two-just look at the head on the newer version!

The newer head does look kind of freaky. The old one looks very friendly!

Gwangi

Hmmm, if I had known this I would have definatly included it in my review. Thanks for sharing.

Dan

I actually noticed some of the differences too, and shared them on the original forum here:

http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=toys&action=display&thread=1602

The images are down now, though.

indy1936

Quote from: Dan on May 03, 2012, 10:53:26 PM
I actually noticed some of the differences too, and shared them on the original forum here:

http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=toys&action=display&thread=1602

The images are down now, though.

Cool information. I hadn't noticed your earlier thread on it or I would have mentioned it with the photos.  :)

spartasaurus

I don't know if it is in any of the old posts, but is there a comprehensive list of Carnegie Collection variants and resculpts? I know about the repaints and the updating of different dinosaurs, but ones that have been slightly redone

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.