News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

South American diplodocids

Started by laticauda, July 10, 2015, 05:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laticauda

The distribution and diversity of sauropods continues to delight and amaze me.  It makes me wonder how widly distibuted and successful these amazing animals actually were.  Unfortunatly it is only known by vertabra, but the fact the diplodocids were there reminds us that there is alot we don't know, and lots yet to be discovered. 

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2014/05/22/no-new-sauropod-did-not-survive-the-great-extinction/

Also they named the diplodocid Leikupal laticauda, as you can see, Laticauda is my forum and DTB name, which as far as I knew, never was associated with a dinosaur before.  Ok,  so that part isn't newsworthy.  ;)

Dinoguy2

Quote from: laticauda on July 10, 2015, 05:39:18 AM
The distribution and diversity of sauropods continues to delight and amaze me.  It makes me wonder how widly distibuted and successful these amazing animals actually were.  Unfortunatly it is only known by vertabra, but the fact the diplodocids were there reminds us that there is alot we don't know, and lots yet to be discovered. 

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2014/05/22/no-new-sauropod-did-not-survive-the-great-extinction/

Also they named the diplodocid Leikupal laticauda, as you can see, Laticauda is my forum and DTB name, which as far as I knew, never was associated with a dinosaur before.  Ok,  so that part isn't newsworthy.  ;)

Laticauda is the feminine version of the masculine form laticaudus, so interestingly it is now the species name of two dinosaurs. Lambeosaurus laticaudus was renamed to Magnapaulia laticauda, the species name had to be changed to match the gender of the new genus name. (Both laticauda/laticaudus means "broad tail".)
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

laticauda

In reguard to Laticauda colubrina, which is known as the banded sea krait, Laticauda means flat tail, but wide, and broad, work as well.  I was never good in latin or spanish.  I only knew the name Lambeosaurus lambei , shame on me. 

Derek.McManus

Wow...interesting there is still so much to learn!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.