News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Best way/place to buy painted shapeway models?

Started by gfxtwin, December 21, 2015, 06:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfxtwin

I tend to be most impressed with those but have no idea where to start in looking for them.  Anyone have/know of a site that specializes in painting shapeway models or selling painted shapeways?

DinoLord

I don't know of any sites that fit your description, but Martin Garratt paints figures on commission and can paint Shapeways figures for you.

stargatedalek

There are a number of members here who offer paint commissions, you'd have to print the model from Shapeways and then ship it to one of them.

gfxtwin

sounds good to me.  Anyone know what is the best material to print with?  I'm thinking either white strong and flexible plastic or frosted ultra detail?

stargatedalek

It depends on your priorities. WSF is stronger and more durable and FUD will show more details. I wouldn't recommend using WSF for anything particularly small as it might loose considerable detail.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: gfxtwin on December 22, 2015, 02:13:35 PM
sounds good to me.  Anyone know what is the best material to print with?  I'm thinking either white strong and flexible plastic or frosted ultra detail?

In my opinion FUD. Since you're buying a display piece you want as much detail as possible. I don't like how much detail you lose with WSF. WSF is stronger but Shapeways pieces are not for playing with anyway. Most likely it will be sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Also, as a painter, I hate the surface texture of WSF but that's more of a personal thing.

gfxtwin

Would you say FUD models are particularly fragile?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: gfxtwin on December 22, 2015, 07:05:58 PM
Would you say FUD models are particularly fragile?
They will break if they hit a hard floor. I don't think they would survive a shelf dive. As for a carpet, maybe they'd fare better but I have not tried it.

gfxtwin

Ah, ok.  Thanks!  Excited to swag my desk out with some of those amazing shapeaway dinosaur models out there :D

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.