News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re: Star Trek Thread

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, July 30, 2014, 04:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

My problem with Abrams is that he tries to make Star Trek like Star Wars. That's like trying to make the Rolling Stones more like the Beatles or vice versa >:D

I do think it's a good idea when non Star Trek directors are brought in though. Nicholas Meyer himself wasn't a Star Trek fan, but he directed ST:TWOK which is my favourite Star Trek movie. I remember a reviewer mentioning somewhere that when a Star Trek fan is hired to direct, the result is usually "fan fic-y". So yes, fresh talent is always a good thing.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 24, 2015, 04:02:11 PM
In general I like Abrams work, but I really feel that his style just wasn't suited for Star Trek. Fringe is thoroughly cemented as my favorite tv program of all time, so I really don't want to admit it but he definitely wasn't a great choice for Star Trek.

Fringe... the Nimoy feels grow stronger...
I disagree.  Abrams was what the franchise needed.  Star Trek had long been mired in the slower technobabble world lorded over by Rick Berman and he ran it straight into the ground faster than the Enterprise-D.  He cut major character scenes from Nemesis in order to keep it under 2 hours.  And ironically, Nemesis was also directed by a non-Trek fan, yet it's often called out as being the worst of the Next Gen movies(I personally liked it and think Insurrection was the worst of the bunch period).  Abrams brought Star Trek back into the more actiony feel of the Original Series.  Yes yes, TOS had it's slow, sciency episodes, but TOS was a lot more action oriented than people give it credit for.  It was the change to the more action-like stuff that allowed Trek on the air in the first place since the studio passed on The Cage.  That's why Shatner was brought in.  Now, do I like everything about the Abrams films?  No.  I think it could stand to be slowed down a bit.  I love the redesigned Enterprise, but there were so few opportunities to appreciate her from all angles.  I also feel that Spock should not have consulted with Spock Prime about Kahn.  Pretty much the only benefit to Leonard's passing is that they won't be tempted to shoehorn him in again.  It's time for the new crew to spread their wings and fly solo.  I only pray that the ones laying the road for them know what they're doing.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

tyrantqueen

I agree, Insurrection is awful. But then again I dislike all of the Next Generation movies.

suspsy

Has it ever been established in any fiction what planet the surviving Vulcans relocated to after the events of the first Abrams film? Perhaps a nicer, moister planet with tons of forests, grassy meadows full of flowers, and flowing rivers?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.