News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Repainting question

Started by Newt, September 10, 2015, 06:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newt

Do you folks who repaint figures strip or sand the old paint before priming, or just prime right on top of the paint?

If it makes a difference, the figures I'm contemplating repainting are the Battat Cryolophosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus.

Paleona

I haven't tried repainting any figures myself, but I know there is a topic with a bunch of tips here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=395.0 :)

That Pachyrhinosaurus sounds like an excellent candidate for a repaint- the factory paint job is pretty... uh... not so great, haha.

Newt

Thanks Paleona! I don't know how I missed that...

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Newt on September 10, 2015, 06:15:30 PM
Do you folks who repaint figures strip or sand the old paint before priming, or just prime right on top of the paint?

If it makes a difference, the figures I'm contemplating repainting are the Battat Cryolophosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus.
You're referring to factory paint, right?

You can't usually strip factory paint unless you use acetone, which is dangerous and can easily melt plastic.  The reason being is that the factories in China use PVC paint, which forms a chemical bond with plastic that conventional cleaners cannot penetrate.

My best advice to you is not to bother. It's not worth the effort. A layer of primer is the most you'll need.

Newt

Thanks! Yes, I meant the factory paint.

I've just got to buy some primer, then I'll be ready to take a whack at it.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.