News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Need sculpting help ASAP!!!!!

Started by Lady medusa, March 16, 2012, 04:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady medusa

I have gotten a few dinosaur scale models i need to modify. One im working on it the tamiya 1/34 scale t rex. I want to sculpt on bigger brow horns, boney nose ridge and a thicker neck. The first time i started to fill in the seams and sculpt the add ons i was kicking myself cause i used non-drying clay, however it sculpted wonderfully! So i took it off and used some air drying clay, or trying to and its flaking off and cracking!what can i use? Can i go ahead and use the non drying clay? Will it firm if painted over? If not what other medium can i use?

Himmapaan

A two-part epoxy clay is best. Apoxie Sculpt is a particularly favoured brand, but there are many others you can choose from.

brontodocus

I'd recommend Apoxie Sculpt, too, or Wonder Putty, which is very similar. Both stick good to most surfaces, do not shrink, do not have to be cured in the oven, and lead to quite sturdy results.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Lady medusa

Awesome thanks guys! How long of a working time is there with apoxie putty? Does it have an issue with cracking?

Roktman

Yep, Aves Apoxie Sculpt will become your new best friend!  ;)

paleoferroequine

I also can agree with the epoxy putty.  I use Magic Sculp . You can smooth it with water. It takes about 5-6 hours to harden completely but gets thicker in about 1 hour,  allows plenty of time to work with it. All the creatures in my sig were modified with it and I have done a lot of conversions.  It is rock hard and won't crack or flake off.  Oh, and it has very little odor.
It runs about $33US for 5 lbs or $15US for 1 lb

Lady medusa

Quote from: paleoferroequine on March 17, 2012, 03:41:19 AM
I also can agree with the epoxy putty.  I use Magic Sculp . You can smooth it with water. It takes about 5-6 hours to harden completely but gets thicker in about 1 hour,  allows plenty of time to work with it. All the creatures in my sig were modified with it and I have done a lot of conversions.  It is rock hard and won't crack or flake off.  Oh, and it has very little odor.

Where did you get those ceratopsians on your sig?
I did get some apoxy sculpt and im very very pleased! Only it does get a lil annoying when it starts to stick to the residue on your fingers. I started to modify a few parasaurolophus, a 1/35 tamiya t-rex, and seamed a 1/20 tylosaur with it.
My sculpting skills are slowly getting a lil sharper with each sculpt

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Lady medusa on March 30, 2012, 05:31:19 PM
Quote from: paleoferroequine on March 17, 2012, 03:41:19 AM

I did get some apoxy sculpt and im very very pleased! Only it does get a lil annoying when it starts to stick to the residue on your fingers. I started to modify a few parasaurolophus, a 1/35 tamiya t-rex, and seamed a 1/20 tylosaur with it.
Those ceratopsians are Rubeosaurus and Sinoceratops, both modified from the Papo Pachyrhinosaurus. I did some others and are posted at the old forum here. I wash my hands a lot when I work to keep it from sticking and a very light coating of talcum powder or something similar also works. Yeah, practice helps a lot, I learn every time I do something new.

Lady medusa

Wow! HoW in the heck did you morph that one to scratching its face? Thats fantastic work!

Lady medusa

[/quote]
Those ceratopsians are Rubeosaurus and Sinoceratops, both modified from the Papo Pachyrhinosaurus. I did some others and are posted at the old forum here. I wash my hands a lot when I work to keep it from sticking and a very light coating of talcum powder or something similar also works. Yeah, practice helps a lot, I learn every time I do something new.
[/quote]

So amazed at your work! Are all of those from the papo packyrhino or are they different ones? I want to learn how you did your morphing !

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Lady medusa on March 31, 2012, 12:21:03 AM

So amazed at your work! Are all of those from the papo packyrhino or are they different ones? I want to learn how you did your morphing !
All of them are the Pachyrhino except for the Medusaceratops which is the Papo Styracosaurus with a new sculpted head.  Once I visualize what I want to do, I heat the figure with a hair dryer to soften the plastic. I use a sharp hobby knife such as an x-acto # 25 blade to cut the legs off or if needed my Dremel drill with a cut off wheel. I use gap filling thicker super glue and wedges of bass wood to reposition the parts. Then of course epoxy putty is used to re sculpt the texture. I'll see if I have any photos tomorrow that show some of this.

Lady medusa

Please do! I need to do some learning!

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Lady medusa on April 03, 2012, 09:21:42 PM
Alas, I can't find them. I have a few of other figures but not ceratopsians. I thought I did but I guess not. I'm going to try and figure something out though.

paleoferroequine

Quote from: paleoferroequine on April 04, 2012, 04:30:03 AM

Quote from: Lady medusa on April 03, 2012, 09:21:42 PM
Alas, I can't find them. I have a few of other figures but not ceratopsians. I thought I did but I guess not. I'm going to try and figure something out though.
Diabloceratops;
Moved to Paleoferroequine's slice 'n dice topic.

Lady medusa

I like apoxie sculpt for morphing BuT im gonna try magic sculpt since it can be easily smoothed out with water! The apoxie got me alil aggervated on trying to use it alone.

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Lady medusa on May 14, 2012, 06:58:14 PM
I like apoxie sculpt for morphing BuT im gonna try magic sculpt since it can be easily smoothed out with water! The apoxie got me alil aggervated on trying to use it alone.
I would have thought the Apoxie will smooth with water also, that's odd. Oh well. Did you see the Diabloceratops thread where I showed the process on how to modify a figure?

Lady medusa

Quote from: paleoferroequine on May 14, 2012, 10:42:13 PM
Quote from: Lady medusa on May 14, 2012, 06:58:14 PM
I would have thought the Apoxie will smooth with water also, that's odd. Oh well. Did you see the Diabloceratops thread where I showed the process on how to modify a figure?

No i really need to check that out! Ive been throwing up a couple new diorama ideas in my head ;) a styracosaurus scene and a stegosaurus scene.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.