News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

accurate... but not

Started by darylj, September 07, 2015, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darylj

Hey guys,

I have been cruising the forums for a while now but haven't posted anything for quite a while... mostly because I haven't purchased any new dino's.

Quit a while back I posted a few customs that I worked on that I ended up selling on ebay to fund... life.

I am now looking at a new project where I plan to take existing models, that are accurate to a degree, but need work to make them... more precise.
does that make sense??
for example... I would like to find a T-rex figure, that has  good proportions, accurate shape etc, but needs say.. shorter arms, a few feathers, etc etc.
I aim to have a collection of modified, but scientifically accurate figures.

sooooo, what im asking for first is... can anyone suggest some good starting points?
some figures that are good... but make you think... if only that figure had this or that?

open to suggestions of edits that should be made, paint schemes, postures etc.

cheers x

tyrantqueen

Carnegie Tyrannosaurus

It needs a new paintjob badly. You could feather it up or add some protofuzz. Simon did a pretty good edit of what could be changed anatomically.

Original:

Tweaked:

It needs its legs and feet bulking up, and maybe the forearms could be more muscular. Not an easy project, but it would be a rewarding one if you have the skill...

darylj

thanks, thats exactly the type of suggestions I am looking for... I was hoping to start with a rex aswel so i may purchase this as a starting point.
do we think the head of this rex is more accurate than say... the brown papo rex head?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: darylj on September 07, 2015, 11:55:42 AM
thanks, thats exactly the type of suggestions I am looking for... I was hoping to start with a rex aswel so i may purchase this as a starting point.
do we think the head of this rex is more accurate than say... the brown papo rex head?
I'd say yes. The Papo rex has those oversized JP hornlets, which would obscure its vision. We had a big discussion on another thread about this.

darylj

ah bummer, I must have missed that convo.
ok, i only asked as a have a brown papo rex spare... and am more than happy to chop and change parts to get the best result. :)

stargatedalek

I wouldn't recommend making it horizontal, a horizontal pose is equally situational to the tripod it's already in.

darylj

SO PERHAPS A MORE ANGLED POSE? WITH THE HEAD POINTING DOWN?? SO THE NECK ALMOST MAKES A TRIANGLE???

tyrantqueen

Quote from: darylj on September 07, 2015, 04:20:05 PM
SO PERHAPS A MORE ANGLED POSE? WITH THE HEAD POINTING DOWN?? SO THE NECK ALMOST MAKES A TRIANGLE???
Whoa, caps lock raeg ;D

This is a good reference for a Tyrannosaurus head (thanks Dinoguy2)

The discussion can be found here, from page 25 onwards http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2750.480
It started off discussing whether or not the Rebor Tyrannosaurus skull is accurate (the Rebor Tyrannosaurus is essentially a JP T.rex). Maybe it will be helpful.

darylj

That's a great help thanks.
So would we say rex stood in a 45 degree angle tail to head?
Or... More of an ostrich, emu pose?

i was thinking this type of pose?
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Male-Tyrannosaurus-495772994

darylj

Also... could anyone advise on the most accurate brachiosaurus type figure?
i myself get very confused on the foot department!?

ak150884

It's really hard to say what is an "accurate t-rex". Even according to the lead experts in the field (not what you read on media articles and Wikipedia!) it's a very speculative subject. The reason I say this is, because they all vary in their proportions. But if you were to ignore the general differences between skeletons and such, then find the one you like most and just look for a figure that can represent it best in terms of skeletal anatomy.

With the surface - thats tricky one. Although distant relatvies of T.Rex were known to have protofeathers, but we actually dont have any solid evidence of an adult T-Rex displaying th same type or volume/density of these things. So, you probably gonna need to rely on your own artistic views regarding the feathery bitz (which is what I do!).

Overall, best thing to do, is choose the figure that you like most in terms of skeletal/muscle anatomy and then just do whatever you want with it!  :)

Patrx

Quote from: darylj on September 14, 2015, 03:53:34 PM
Also... could anyone advise on the most accurate brachiosaurus type figure?
i myself get very confused on the foot department!?

Sauropod feet can be tricky business, but luckily, a number of models do get them right. Check out the latest Carnegie Brachiosaurus or the Battat Amargasaurus, for example.

Particularly odd are the "hands" which form crescent-shaped prints. Only the innermost digit of each hand bore a nail (and even this appears to be lost in titanosaurs, if memory serves). Here's a useful article on the subject from Tetrapod Zoology.

darylj

excellent, thanks guys.
so im going to work on the Rex first.

can anyone advise on tail flexibility? would the tail have been geld out straight?

jooooo

Probably would've been very stiff.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.