You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA Carcharodontosaurus/Papo Running Rex face-swap

Started by empire3569, October 29, 2015, 05:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empire3569

I am interested in removing the head from the CollectA Carcharodontosaurus and placing it on the body of the Papo Running T-rex; I was not a fan of the CollectA sculpt at all (the head was pretty good though) and the Papo running Rex seems like it would be thin enough to fit the general profile of a Carcharodontosaurus. I have a few questions I would like to ask those who are more knowledgeable than myself:

1. I do not own either of these figures as of yet; for those who do, are the proportions of the necks fairly similar on each? I would want the resulting figure to look natural, I was just worried about the head of the Carcharodontosaurus being too narrow for the neck of the T-rex

2. I am assuming I would using epoxy putty, such as Magic Sculpt, to fill in the two pieces. Anyone have any advice for removing each head and filling in the remaining gap after the switch?

Thank you in advance for any help (and of course if anyone has already done this I would love to see how it turned out!)

Ikessauro

I don't have the Carcha, but I should remind you of the T.rex arms. You'll have to extend them and sculpt another finger in there.

empire3569

Quote from: Ikessauro on October 29, 2015, 06:10:46 PM
I don't have the Carcha, but I should remind you of the T.rex arms. You'll have to extend them and sculpt another finger in there.

Yes I was planning on doing that as well, but it didn't seem as difficult as the head swap so I left it out  :)

MLMjp

Here are a few images, as you can see the neck on papo T.rex is thicker, but I donĀ“t think it will look very off

empire3569

Those pictures are perfect, thank you so much! The papo neck does look a little thicker, but I agree I don't think it would look too off. Hopefully I will get both of these figures for Christmas and can attempt the swap!

pylraster

You'll have to keep in mind that the texture of the two models are different. But I'll look forward to this project.

Tyto_Theropod

Interesting project, I'll look forward to seeing how it goes. Bear in mind that the arms on the running Rex are pronated, which is inaccurate. If you want accurate arms, with the palms facing each other, you'll either have to turn the T. rex hands round or transplant the Carcharodontosaurus arms as well as the head. I just thought I'd point that out for your consideration. ;)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

CityRaptor

The arms would have to be modified anyways due to the number of fingers.

So a Face/Off. Which is Travolta and which is Cage? I would say the T.rex is Travolta and the Carchar is Cage.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.