News:

Dinosaur Toy Forum Diorama Contest 2024. Deadline for submissions is October 29th 2024. Contest details here.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What's up?

Started by JurassicGeek09, September 24, 2015, 06:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JurassicGeek09

Hello there chaps, name's DoomRulz and I'm a dino lover! I've been obsessed with dinosaurs since I was three years and I first saw The Land Before Time, which was soon followed by the first cinema experience I can recall in my life with Jurassic Park in 1993 at the age of six! To fast forward oh, about 20 odd years, I collect toys (which consist primarily of the JP variety), but in the past few months I've gotten into dinosaur toy collecting. I had a few saved from my childhood, namely the old Carnegie Collection Spinosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Triceratops, Elasmosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, and Albertosaurus. These days, I'm really into CollectA and Safari and I love the Battat line. It's too bad I live in Canada, so buying the new figures is a massive pain in the ass, but oh well (silly Target...) Oh, and I really can't stand Papo or Schleich. Though I dislike Papo more.

Anyway, that's me, hope to chat with you all soon! Cheers :)
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

DinoToyForum

Welcome to the forum!  :)

Doug Watson

Hey, welcome fellow Canuck to the forum. While I love the fact you say you are into Safari Ltd, I am puzzled that you dislike Papo being a JP fan and collector. I am a JP fan as well and that is why I started buying Papo because of the JP influence. The JP inspired Papos are the only Papos I buy. They are some of the best JP toys without being official JP products in my opinion.

JurassicGeek09

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 24, 2015, 06:34:50 PM
Hey, welcome fellow Canuck to the forum. While I love the fact you say you are into Safari Ltd, I am puzzled that you dislike Papo being a JP fan and collector. I am a JP fan as well and that is why I started buying Papo because of the JP influence. The JP inspired Papos are the only Papos I buy. They are some of the best JP toys without being official JP products in my opinion.

Mm, it definitely sounds weird when I think about it but I guess it's because they're marketed as dinosaur figures rather than Jurassic Park figures, you know? Mental gymnastics, lol. Besides, the Papo Rexes will never hold a candle to my beloved Thrasher, Red, or Bull Rex <3

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 24, 2015, 06:21:04 PM
Welcome to the forum!  :)

Thank you! So happy to be here. You can thank Suspsy for recommending I start an account here. I lurk about almost everyday.
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

Doug Watson

Quote from: DoomRulz on September 24, 2015, 06:36:41 PM

Mm, it definitely sounds weird when I think about it but I guess it's because they're marketed as dinosaur figures rather than Jurassic Park figures, you know? Mental gymnastics, lol. Besides, the Papo Rexes will never hold a candle to my beloved Thrasher, Red, or Bull Rex <3

Hey to each their own, that's what's great about this forum there are people here who collect all forms of dinosaur toys. It's great that you can find toys today that you want to collect. This is really the golden age for dinosaur toys, again in my opinion.

JurassicGeek09

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 24, 2015, 06:40:21 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on September 24, 2015, 06:36:41 PM

Hey to each their own, that's what's great about this forum there are people here who collect all forms of dinosaur toys. It's great that you can find toys today that you want to collect. This is really the golden age for dinosaur toys, again in my opinion.

Oh hell yes, especially since the Battat line is being re-released! Which line is your favourite?

Doug Watson

Quote from: DoomRulz on September 24, 2015, 06:52:45 PM
Oh hell yes, especially since the Battat line is being re-released! Which line is your favourite?

Well, I guess I will have to humbly say Safari Ltd, since I am the sculptor of many of their pieces, but it was actually the Battat line that gave me the inspiration to try my hand at toy sculpting. I bought most of them when they were in production and then completed the set later. I was a big fan of Dan and Greg's work and when I was at a crossroads back in 2003 I sent a note to Safari Ltd since in my opinion they were the quality line at the time and as luck would have it they took a chance on me. Most of my collection dates from 1947 until the expiration of the original Battat line.

Halichoeres

Welcome, DoomRulz! Do you dislike Papo even more than Geoworld?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CityRaptor

Hopefully not. Disliking Papo more then Schleich is already odd, given that Schleich often comes off as cheap Papo ( unless you believe certain reviews, which are rather suspicious like one I saw on German Amazon, which was exactly the same one copied and pasted for 10 or more figures )
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

JurassicGeek09

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 24, 2015, 08:01:20 PM
Welcome, DoomRulz! Do you dislike Papo even more than Geoworld?

I'm not terribly familiar with their toys so I couldn't tell you.

CityRaptor

Oh, believe me, once you have seen them, you will find them worse than Papo.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.